Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Heatsink Removal

• Please log in to reply

cstach

cstach

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I can't figure out how to remove my heatsink becuase I want to know the exact p4 chip I have. I want to figure of the socket type of my mobo because I plan on upgrading it. The heatsink seems like it can be removed by flipping the metal tabs up to lift brackets on the hatsink over plastic the tabs. Sorry if the photos are to big and thanks for the help.

Comp is a Dell Dimension 8250

Side 1
Posted Image

Side 2
Posted Image

Bottom of mobo assembly
Posted Image

Back
Posted Image

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The easist way to find out the processor speed is to download everest and run it. From the looks of your pictures you have taken the Mb out of the puter. I had a couple of dells that the heatsink was installed on the processor with some kind of pad that was quite sticky. I finally twisted the heatsink off and spent some time trying to clean it up with alcohol. In reality the pad worked pretty well. I used a different heatsink with a clip and a dab of artic silver and the temps stayed the same as before.

SRX660

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
on that last picture...there's sort of a "tab" or "key" on the left side there...is there one of those on both sides of the HS? looks like pushing that will lift the clips off the tabs on the left side...and probably also allow you to get the clip off of that front tab

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also from the looks of it...if you unscreww those bottom four screws..the whole black heat sink retainer would come off the board..

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Somthing to remember as well. Many Dells are proprietary. Both the motherboard and powersupply, while looking like a standard are not and pinned differently. In other words if you plug a non-proprietary motherboard into a dell proprietary power supply you could damage/destroy the board.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
indeed....always forget about those darned dell PSU's

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

indeed....always forget about those darned dell PSU's

Yeah I know and I've heard ( and to a very limited degree... seen ) that SOME are not proprietary but when asked dell has claimed all are still proprietary...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They have switched alot of there new systems to plain ATX standard and they are usually usable but Dell PSUs are still generic if you change the mobo its a good idea to take the oppertunity to replace the PSU prices are very good these days and a dell system wont need more than 400W.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
When it comes to dell power supplies, nothing works better than a Dremel tool and a wiring diagram....sometimes you can find the pin out and splice a new power supply into a dell motherboard plug, but I HATE these things

cstach

cstach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
dsenette, the "tabs are on both sides but when lifted they still don't allow the HS to clear the mount. I didn't want to "help" them along with a screw driver because I wasn't sure if the HS was attached by yet another means. Also those aren't screws on the bottom they seem like plastic plugs that hold the black mount the HS stits on onto the mobo assembly. Thanks for the replies guys

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Right heres what to do get a prog called CPU-Z its in my sig, itll tell you all you need to know about the CPU and the mobo model number, which you can then look up go to the manufacturers site and you can get the manual in PDF and if youre lucky itll be a good manual and tell you exactly how to remove the HSF ASSUMING dell A. used the standard HSF and B. its an actual production board not a dell modded version, you may be lucky you might not though its worth a shot.

I did a very quick bit of research and it appears it might just be attached to the mobo with the tabs but there wasnt much info out there.

Edited by warriorscot, 09 March 2006 - 06:30 PM.

cstach

cstach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
warriorscot this is what i got:

Mobo
Posted Image

CPU
Posted Image

Cache
Posted Image