Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem using my microphone

• Please log in to reply

baroon

baroon

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi, I am unable to use microphone on my system. Although my microphone is well detected by my computer and sound comes out from speaker, when I speak through it. But problem is that whenever I want to use it in any program like MSN Messenger, sound recorder, yahoo messenger,etc , my system just restarts. I have tried everything that's possible by me, but all in vain. Even I have downloaded latest driver for the sound card, but unable to rectify the problem.

I have found another thread somewhat of same character, but is not helpful in my case. Therefore I'm postin this new thread.

My system configuration is -

Processor - Intel Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
MB - Intel Desktop Board 915 GAV
SoundCard - On Board Intel HD Audio ( with Realtek ALC860 codec on Realtek HD Audio Driver as supplied by manufacturer )

One thing I would like to share is that after uninstalling Realtek HD audio driver, xp automatically configure the driver for soundcard and all works well, but again not on yahoo Messeger. It contantly say can't initialize audio mixer. But you know Realtek HD Audio driver include much more stuff, so I have to revert back to my driver.

Please help .......... desparately needing that.

Thanks in advance. :tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi baroon...

Let's take a look at a few settings. Open Control Panel and double click on "Sounds and Audio Devices". Under the "Voice" tab, make sure your audio device appears in both menu windows. Click on the "Volume" button, make sure no Mute boxes are checked, and that all the volume sliders are set to at least half way. "Apply" any changes you make and click on the "Test Hardware" button. Follow the prompts for the test and let me know how it goes.

wannabe1

baroon

baroon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I appreciate your time. I have done whatever you have said. But it's also not working.

One thing more I would like to share that I have founded to different device for voice playback and voice recording.

Voice playback - Realtek HD Audio Rear Output
Voice recording - Realtek HD Audio Rear Input

Now as you have said I clicked the button saying "Volume". A dialog box appeared with various Input devices. I selected the microphone.
But see, the microphone option also appeared in Volume Dialog box of voice playback. It is this option which is actually controlling my microphone as when I click mute, the microphone goes out. But its not working in the Volume Dialog box of Voice recording. Even the advanced button is grayed out.

I think this information may help you to recity this problem.