Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

winmx

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

winmx user

winmx user

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I need help using winmx when ever i try to download it just turns red
and i was wondering if ne one has limewire or what ever its called and is it free and after u download the song does it play on wondows media player and i was wondering about how long it takes to download a song?????????? :tazz:

Advertisements

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

Formerly known as "Crafty_Girl"

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
Hello winmix...

I'm pretty sure that you have posted this topic in the wrong area... But if I knew more about winmix, and what it was...lol I would move this topic to the right location for you... :tazz:

But I am thinking that this should be in the HARDWARE topics...

But wont move ya till I am sure... But I hope this helps and hope that you get your issue resolved...

;)

arielshai

arielshai

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
ya, me too, i downloaded winmx on my new comp. and MOST of the time the song turns RED. but some songs go through.
what's limewire? does it work?

......arielshai

AL...

AL...

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well guys/gals they go red when they stop downloading. This will happen when the user(s) your getting them from goes offline or they boot you for not having any files to share. It can also happen if there is a connection problem.

Time it takes to get a file will vary depending on your and their connection speed.

Give Patrick Kolla (author of "spybot search and destroy") a few weeks to get this list file share list done before you try another p2p prog. Limewire used to install spyware but may have changed their ways (but dont hold your breath).

baboyd

baboyd

• Pip
  • 2 posts
It's not an issue of someone logging off. I'm having the same problem and after running a search on this very board I see alot of other people are having the same problem.

I have XP Pro (no sp2 upgrade), the latest version of WINMX, DSL thru SBC, and a simple modem with no firewall. I have Norton system works but as far as I know it does not have any firewall properties.

I can search just fine, 100's of matches pop up as soon as I click search. But I can not d/l a file nor can anyone u/l a file from me. All connections just time out. Every once in a while I can d/l one song but after that I'm dead, nothing, notta. This led me to believe I was being port blocked by my ISP. I changed the port setting many times and still have the same issue. I've tried both the primary and secondary connections in WINMX and I still have the issue.

I'm not computer networking guru by any stretch of the imagination but my system is about as simple as it gets. No router, no firewall, no hubs, etc. I feel I'm either missing something thats idiotically simple or maybe AOL has hijacked something I don't know about?

arielshai

arielshai

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Well you can say that again!
Diddo, diddo!
except i am less of a network guru than you. hahaha.
i searched for a popular hip/hop song, and it worked;once. then, i tried a different (very popular song), and it would not work, again, and again.
ALSO; the same thing happened on another computer at my other parents house-completely different connection, bla bla bla. and a different neighborhood (if that makes a difference).
Although, both my houses have Comcast broadband internet (cable modem).

it's kinda werid

so, i just tried the famous song "highway to h*** (ACDC)", and it came up with hundreds of matches, and after i started the transfer on one, it worked
but, when i tried the new hip/hop song "Sugar (trick daddy)" it would not work and i tried numerous ones.

???

arielshai

AL...

AL...

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well it looks like your being blocked by your isp. It's not something I'm keeping up with but I know a few have started filtering/blocking or just putting hardware in that gets in the way of file sharing (and other things) to cut back on virus and hack attempts. Mine masks my ip via routers and was blocking p2p, hotmail, a few other things, and still gets in the way at times.

aol think they are a law unto themselves, doing what they want when they want. They are not liked by many. If they decide to stop their subscribers useing p2p (or reading about things that they dont like, or getting email with links that they dont like) then they will.

Any NT based OS (2000 xp) really should run a firewall. Better safe than sorry.

Sorry I cant be of more help :tazz:

pinksugarprincess

pinksugarprincess

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey guys, why don't you try areslite? it downloads faster than the regular ares filesharing program, and has found everything i've searched for. (admittedly, I have cable)

I had a few problems with regular ares but arelite is great! try it instead of wmx, I found the interface really hard to use, and DUDE! it's so UGLY!!

good luck with your filesharing adventures! :tazz:

baboyd

baboyd

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Update:
I ripped WinMX completely off my machine. Loaded it back on, changed the default port connections in winMX (in case the isp blocked them), pinholed the XP pro firewall with the same port numbers and managed to d/l three songs before it quit on me again. >sigh<

arielshai

arielshai

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yay, thats the pits i guess. maybe our naive friend Winmx should be put six feet under (know what i mean), i think it is time to "change the guard", and switch over to aelite or whatever someone says is the best. so long for now

if any knows of some really great programs to download music, movies, shows, etc. let us know

arielshai

Advertisements

senshisteph

senshisteph

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Yay, thats the pits i guess.  maybe our naive friend Winmx should be put six feet under (know what i mean), i think it is time to "change the guard", and switch over to aelite or whatever someone says is the best.  so long for now

if any knows of some really great programs to download music, movies, shows, etc.  let us know

arielshai

View Post

Bittorrent.

:tazz:

arielshai

arielshai

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
i am a little new to this site;

what does it mean when someone "quotes" you, and in my case, posted exactly what i said again?

thanks, i feel important!

arielshai

senshisteph

senshisteph

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

what does it mean when someone "quotes" you, and in my case, posted exactly what i said again?

:tazz: If it's a long thread or you are replying to a particular comment it just makes it clear exactly what you are responding to

arielshai

arielshai

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
So anyone out there, this post is getting old, and i still need help with Winmx.

arielshai

morfius

morfius

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
my opinion is to not use winmx at all because you get sued thousands of pounds/dollars or whatever currency you use and it brings loads of spyware, parasites and viruses into your computer.