Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of dearh

• Please log in to reply

elite_destiny

elite_destiny

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
:tazz: My computer suddenly wont boot into normal mode ( and I now just officially lost the ability to boot into safe mode as well). It keeps coming to a blue screen at the end. All it gives me ( thats useful) is the memory allocation after :STOP:. I can past that if it helps. I have run chkdsk /f with the installation cd..i thought maybe running chkdsk throught the command prompt inside safe mode would work better but didnt get a chance to ..so i did it through the repair function on the windows install cd ( booting off athe cd when starting the computer up). STill not working. Any ideas? The error occured after I downloaded AlphaCleaner which in the apst I have come to realize is a form of spyware which wont let me reboot into normal mode either if i try to remove it like a program. So I usually do a system restore when i see it to go before it was dled. However this time when i system restored I blue screened so something else is wrong. I nee dhelp. This computer has all my assignments and I need them quickly.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok elite_destiny...let's see if we can get this thing to run.

Boot into Recovery Console using your XP cd. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r, and press "Enter". If you are prompted to have it run on the next boot, type Y and press "Enter". Reboot.

Note: This is a quite lengthy check...be patient.

Let me know if you are able to complete this procedure.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 08 March 2006 - 11:10 PM.

elite_destiny

elite_destiny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
i had already done this before i posted...didnt work.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
According to your post, you ran chkdsk /f. did you also run chkdsk with the r switch?

elite_destiny

elite_destiny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
ya i did the r..i always think of the f swtich because that is what all the sites refer to but must be for older OS. Anyhoo I did the r switch.

Thanks for starting this up so fast.. Will check this every 5 mins.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We'll just do these procedures one at a time until this thing gives in... :tazz:

Have you tried a system restore from command prompt? To a time before you installed the Alpha Cleaner?

Boot back into Recovery Console and type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe at the command prompt, and then press "Enter"...Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

elite_destiny

elite_destiny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
failure....darn.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just so you know...I save the really scary ones for last...

At command prompt, type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, at command prompt, type chkdsk /r (Again...note the space) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

This is a two parter...do them in order. If the System File Checker (sfc) fails, forget the second part (chkdsk) and post back.

Edited by wannabe1, 08 March 2006 - 11:54 PM.

elite_destiny

elite_destiny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
but if i cant get into windows ...how do i press on start? do you mean type it into the recovery console the sfc....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I had hoped I got the edit in before you caught that...look again... :tazz:

Advertisements

elite_destiny

elite_destiny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
on it. LOL. How long do i have your services tonight ? Will report back in approx 1 hour..hopefully you still on.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'll be around for a bit yet... :tazz:

elite_destiny

elite_destiny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
ya so after a bit of trouble ( lost internet for a sec there) I type in sfc in the command window from the recovery console and i get sfc is not a valid command......what am idoign wrong

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're not doing anything wrong...you're doing fine.

Let's hope this one works...the one after this one is replacing the registry hive and without knowing if we have a viable restore point waiting for us, it may not be pretty... :tazz:

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

elite_destiny

elite_destiny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
backtrack for a sec. I think we are thinking two different places. This is what i have done...I put the installation of xp cd in and booted from it directly when the computer booted up ( wasnt inside the os because it wont let me) Then I clicked r for repair console. Then in there I did the chkdsk -r and that didnt help. Then I tried typing sfc command in there ..but it says bad command or something like that. ( sfc /scannow). So where do i get this option for reinstallingg the registry hive ?