Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PAge File Fragmentation

• Please log in to reply

Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
HEre's my problem...please check out my screenshot so you know what I am talking about:
http://www.familyfol...loaf/defrag.jpg

As you can see I have got my hard drive all defrag and free space consolidated. I used some defrag utilities. They have not been able to defrag the pagefile, which is the choppy green thing you see on the defrag analyze screen. I have tried to run them at boot, with no luck. Here's what confuses me...I turned my pagefile off, defragged the hard drive and it looked all sorts of perty...after that, I turned the pagefile on, and it looks like that?! What is windows doing? Why not make it one big chunk. On my other laptop it did it just fine, but not this one. Granted, this one is older, PIII 1ghz 512mb RAM winXP Pro...do you think it has anything to do with me upgrading from winNT to Win XP Pro a long time ago? Anyways, if anyone can figure out why the pagefile won't populate into on big chunk in the massive free space I have made for it, please let me know. Thanks.
P.S. my pagefile is custom sized with max and min the same at 555mb.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try Page Defrag

http://www.sysintern...PageDefrag.html

Meetloaf13

Meetloaf13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I've tried that, for some reason, it won't defrag it, this is really puzzling me.