Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What's the best way to pretty up your Windows

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi folks, I'm a guy who's really into the good looks of the computer and I've seen some people on the net with customized looks of Windows XP. Personally I've tried out WindowsBlinds and StyleXP. I don't know... I can't say I'm very happy with them. And what is this UXTheme.dll patch trick? Could anyone explain a bit to me?

Microsoft released a theme called Royale a while back and it was based on the look of Media Center. It was real small, nice work, quick and easy. But then again I guess it's because it was written by Microsoft itself and was signed?

Thanx

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have a look at XPize

During the install, select back up current settings

If you want to keep the animated boot screen, click extras and untick boot screen during the install

http://xpero.msfn.or...age=screenshots

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
you didn't like windowblinds? :tazz: resource-consumption aside, some skins really kick [bleep]:

multipass-carbon
quantria
blister
GT3wb5

among others...plus you can customize them if you got skinstudio...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i like colored sharpies and magic markers....a little hard to clean off the monitor...but reall pretty!

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Yeah I really like some of the skins for Windows Blinds too, but the application itself has to be running all the time in the background to make everything look the way they do eh?

Maybe I'm just being greedy but I really want something that you can just set it and then that's it. (Like the only theme released from Microsoft that I'm happy about - Royale).

Cheers

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Have you tried StyleXP?