Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP - No disk

• Please log in to reply

Aku Aku

Aku Aku

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello, will be extrememly grateful if someone can get to the bottom of this for me:

(Almost) every time Windows XP SP2 starts, I get an error box which says:

"Windows - No Disk

Please insert a disk into drive"

So I click cancel (a few times - the box reappears on the first cancel) and Windows seems to boot as normal.

It's not the most life threatening problem in the world but I am concerned it may be indicative of a more deep rooted problem. I think a registry setting has been tweaked somewhere along the line or a there is a problem with a hardware configuration... I have noticed that despite having USB2, the computer is not recognising USB2 when I insert a compatible device. I have tried reinstalling the Windows USB2 drivers but no luck.

If you think you might know the answer please let me know, any suggestions welcome no matter how dumb (oh... reinstalling XP is beyond dumb I'm afraid!)

Thanks for your time.....

Attached Files

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start with this

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

System File Check will show an on screen blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

Aku Aku

Aku Aku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks Keith but I can't locate my xp disk and all the other I try don't seem to be compatible - any ideas please?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you borrow an XP CD, it needs to be the same version as was originally installed, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an XP with SP1 CD