Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox Quandry

• Please log in to reply

olewoman

olewoman

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
I have just downloaded firefox and have begun to tinker around with it. The little bit of surfing I did was impressive as I had no pop unders, etc. But, I do have a problem. I am sorry if this has already been posted, but I have waded through so much stuff trying to get the answer that I am just disgusted with reading the same stuff on every site, which covers everything under the sun but my problem.

My problem showed itself this morning on CNN.com. The main page of the site is too small for the viewing area. It is still readable, but it doesn't use all of the screen. When I click on an article to read it pops up too large for the screen thus having to scroll horizontally to read the entire line. I consider the browser unusable unless I can get this corrected, as I hate horizontal scrolling just as much as most of you probably do. I did try changing the font size, and every other setting I could find that might help.

Thanks for being here.

Respectfully,
Annie

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello and welcome to geekstogo,
so you have tried changing the font size? what happends when you do so, does it do nothing at all?
thanx
James

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Or you can zoom out by hitting CTRL and pushing fordward on the mouse wheel, but changing fonts works as well.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
yup just a short cut, forgot to mention that one :tazz:
James

olewoman

olewoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Yes, I went back again and changed the font size. With the fonts minimized the home page is at least readable. But when I use the CTRL command to minimize the fonts on the linked page, it is so small that I have a very hard time reading it. It is REALLY small in order to fit on one page with out a horizontal scroll. It will give me a headache trying to read it...my eyes aren't what they used to be in regards to the small print. This is really bumming me because I wanted to give firefox a decent go of it, but since the news is the first thing I do in the morning, this bug popped up immediately. If it cannot be corrected, I guess it's back to holy IE (i made a funny :tazz:

Think I'll snoop around the firefox home page, see if they have an email address or something. In the meantime, if anyone can tell me how to fix this, I would be forever in your debt. ;-)

Thanks as always for your time.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
you can adjust it to an in between size as the scroller goes in both directions, post a scren print if you like, i'm interested in what you are seeing. Also this may seem dumb but is the window maximized? Or if you want to get the window to be even bigger with a click of a button you can click F11.
thanx
James

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
What screen resolution are you running? How large is your monitor? LCD or CRT?

olewoman

olewoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
I have pretty much so covered all your instruction already, and would like to hear the reasoning behind my screen resolution as it works well with all other things, including sites i have visited in firefox already. This "CMM" thing is the first problem I have run into, but I have to tell you I am getting more disillusioned everyday.

olewoman

olewoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
I have pretty much so covered all your instruction already, and would like to hear the reasoning behind my screen resolution as it works well with all other things, including sites i have visited in firefox already. This "CMM" thing is the first problem I have run into, but I have to tell you I am getting more disillusioned everyday.

i don't know what I am doing wrong, but I cannot get a printscreen to post. I copyed it, pasted it to Wordpad, then tried to attach the document with the "add attachments" feature at the bottom of the post. Any suggestions there?

Please excuse the last post as it was supposed to have printscreen images on it. :tazz:

Respectfully....a

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

The reason I ask about screen resolution is because many web pages are optimized for 1024 x 768 (or above). People running lower resolutions will have to scroll horizontally.

My screen resolution is set 1280 x 1024 and I can see the entire CNN page with room to spare. If my resolution was set to 800 x 600, I would have to scroll CNN's page horizontally.

CNN's page appears to be optimized at 1024 x 768.

As for attaching files, just Browse to the file you want to attach, click on Add This Attachment. Another window will open below the Add This Attachment button. There you will see another button named Add into Post. You must click Add into Post so the attachment will show up in your replies.

Edited by makai, 10 March 2006 - 12:18 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
never thought of that, good call makai
James

olewoman

olewoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
ok. I thought we might have had it there with the screen resolution, thanks to your excellent explantion (thank you for indulging me) but, alas, when I checked my screen resolution, it was already set to 1024x768. I even bumped it up to 1280x1024, and it didn't help.

So, back to the screen shot attachment, I realized my attachment was too large. They tell you that maximum attachment is 2mb, and mine was over 4. I've tried various things to get the size down, like taking the shot at a part of the page that didn't have graphics, and trying to take the shot with the screen res down. Now I am out of ideas all together.

I think this is worse than a quandry, it is unable to be solved ...... :tazz:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ok, paste it into paint and then click save as.. once you save it be sure to save it as a JPEG as it is a smaller format with less quality. But we arn't looking for a perfect photo so that doesn't matter. Try this methode and then we'll go from there.
thanx
James

olewoman

olewoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
I want to thank you guys all so much for your warmth, politeness and "get the job done" attitude. I went to the firefox (mozilla) website, and all they have are forums for support. I was treated so badly that I don't think I will continue to support the product. I liked what I saw of it, but if that is what you have to put up with to get a little support, I am afraid I'll have to pass. Guess I will play the waiting game to see if the next new browser that comes out is any better, especially in the way of support.

Thanks again for being here. You are always here, always bail me out, and believe me you are appreciated. (I feel like there should be some sappy love song playing in the background :tazz: )

God Bless.

A

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
np, if your looking for another browser opera is good too, or so i have heard never tried it out personaly. Why not give it a try.
James