Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe

• Please log in to reply

tommkell

tommkell

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hi, I have a problem with windows xp, everytime i shut down a window come up, closing explorer.exe then says its not responding and i have to hit end now.
when the pc reboots i get a message saying the pc has recovered from a serious error. any help would be much appreciated. tom

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

System File Check will show an on screen blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
i didnt get a cd with my pc. its about 10 months old, is there anyway around this?.

Lyrical

Lyrical

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
~ Sorry for the faulty advice.

Edited by Lyrical, 10 March 2006 - 02:13 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

The easiest way to fix this, In my opinion, would be to download opera, from opera.com. It's way, way, way, WAY better than internet explorer..

explorer.exe is NOT internet explorer..it's windows explorer...which is basically the program that allows you to do ANYTHING in windows...it's the standard windows shell...so opera will not help anthing

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Please download and run hijackthis, then save a log and AS A TEXT FILE (FILE > SAVE AS) then ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
ok, here it is:

Attached Files

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
I am sorry for a wrong post, please ignore. Wont do it again.

Edited by spike_hacker_inc, 12 March 2006 - 04:42 AM.

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
wha? hello?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Sorry for the delay. I don't log on to GTG much during the weekend.

With your HJT log, I saw there was one or two programs that were running multiple times. I find this unusual...but before I take any action, I want to collect a bit more info:

Click on Start, Run, type eventvwr in the text box and then press Enter. Click on Application and see if there are any exlamation marks or red X's around the time when you turned the computer off/on and experienced your problem. If there is an exlamation mark or X next to an item, double-click on that entry and copy the description of the error. Do the same thing for the System section. Post the description along with the source so I know what the description belongs to.

Advertisements

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
yes there is 1 around the same time under system. under source it says service control manager. here is the description:

The Ati HotKey Poller service failed to startdue to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
oh, if ati refers to the type of graphics card somethings wrong. i have an nvidia graphics card.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that is an ati graphix driver component...did you ever have an ati graphix card? does your motherboard have onboar graphix?

if you do not have..or do not use an ati graphix card in your system
go here http://www.drivercleaner.net/ get drivercleaner and run it...remove all ati drivers from the system..

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
no luck im afraid, removed all ati stuff but still getting the explorer.exe fault at shutdown.

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
ok, got an xp cd and done the sfc /scannow thing. rebooted when the scan was finished, rebooted again just to be sure and the fault is still there. explorer.exe non responsive.
man, i wish someone like google would make an os then we could all get rid of this user-unfriendly windows shite.