Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Some Questions....

• Please log in to reply

SirNight33

SirNight33

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi, i was just wondering what are audio codecs/video codecs? my pc is 5years old+ but im getting a new one soon alltho this pc runs smoother then my bros pc thats at 3ghz lol also i heard that getting updates for hardware already on your pc can make it run faster or something how can i detect all my hardware and get updates for it?

Also if any of you know a good codec thing to get tell me :/.

Advertisements

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Hi SirNight33

Codecs stands for "Coder-Decoder," which describes a device or program capable of encoding or transforming signals. MP3 and WMA are popular examples of codecs. Usually they also allow compresion and decompresion of data streams. Codecs are often used in videoconferencing and streaming multi-media solutions.

see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codecs for miore info

if you want to use your computer for all that multimedia stuff you'll need to get the right ones for your hardware and for the type of files you'll be working with.

If you just want to use your computer for electromagnetic calculations, then you won't need one, unless you want to view the results of your calculations in streaming video :tazz:

best regards,

EMCguy

PS A nice free utility for home users is Sandra Lite (google it- I think we also have it on our downloads page). It will tell you more than you want to know about your hardware.

Edited by EMCguy, 09 March 2006 - 11:12 AM.