Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! XP wont start \windows\system32\config\s

• Please log in to reply

fescobar

fescobar

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Please help me. One night I went to sleep and my PC was working fine and then the next morning I get the msg:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I've been browsing web site and I'm SO confused on how to fix it.

This is what I tried so far:

I tried hitting F8 and restoring to the last working time, but nothing happened.

I tried the information I found at: http://support.micro...n-us;307545#kb2

BUT it never asks me for my administrator password and then when I get to the Recovery Console prompt I try entering the commands they have I get "Access Denied".

What should I do NOW??? I dont want to lose my data on my PC!

I've seen some stuff about chkdsk? Should I try this? What is the command?

PLEASE HELP! Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello fescobar...

Boot to the command prompt in Recovery Console. At the prompt, type chkdsk /r (Note the space before /r) and press "Enter". It may tell you the volume is in use and ask if you want to run it on the next boot...type Y and press "Enter". Reboot. This is a long test...be patient.

wannabe1

fescobar

fescobar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks wannabe1 for the advise. I am at the office now, but will try it tonight when I get home and post you tomorrow on the update!

fescobar

fescobar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi

I tried the chkdsk /r last night. It took a LONG time, but it finally came back. It seemed to still be giving me the same problem, but then I went back into the Recovery Console Program and it acted differently there so I was going to try the steps in
http://support.micro...n-us;307545#kb2

Previously, it would just give me a prompt and give me the error "Access Denied" for any command I typed.

But now it asks me to choose the installation I want to access. And then it prompts me for the Administrator password.

All good, BUT I dont remember my administrator password. Is there away around this? What can I do? I'm going to try to look for the piece of paper where I wrote it down this weekend, but what if I never find it?

How do I get past this point now?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you see the prompt for administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

fescobar

fescobar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried that. When prompted for Administrator Password I just hit Enter but it said invalid password. Should I put a space and then Enter?

Or what else should I try?

Thanks!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try these...
  • admin
  • administrator
  • password
Have you always owned this machine or was it purchased used?

fescobar

fescobar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I am at work now, but I will try those when I go home tonight and let you know what happens.

I've always owned this machine. Its a Dell desktop which I purchased about 15 months ago.

Edited by fescobar, 10 March 2006 - 08:45 AM.

fescobar

fescobar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello there...Sorry for the delay in reply, but as my PC is not working I have to wait until I have an opportunity at my work office to reply to the forum.

I tried to the passwords you suggested, but all came up as invalid. I was the original owner of the PC, if I did change the admin password for some reason, I probably wrote it down, but lost it during a house move that I went through last year.

What else do you suggest? Can I get around the admin password?

Thanks,
Frank

fescobar

fescobar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I found this site. Should I try this?

http://pubs.logicale...icle.asp?ID=305

Do you think it is safe or will I lose data and mess things up even more?

Ugh...please help! :-(

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i read over those steps and you SHOULDN"T lose any data....if anything it may wipe out any recent windows updates..

fescobar

fescobar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you. I will try it this evening and let you know tomorrow. Wish Me Luck!