Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 Pc's can connect - but 2 cant (wireless)

• Please log in to reply

gofence

gofence

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi - hoping for some help with an odd wifi network problem.

I am upgrading my home wirless setup to the new BT fusion system (wireless network ADSL router/hub plus bluetooth mobile phone for making calls via broadband when at home) but I have a problem with the wireless network part of the new system.

I used to use a Linksys 54g Access Point to connect 5 PC's (4 desktops with identical Linksys 54g pci cards and 1 laptop with a D-link pcmia card) to my home network (two other desktops on an ethernet lan - one pc with a thomson adsl modem acting as the gateway to the internet) - and everything worked fine.

I am now trying to replace the Linksys AP with the ADSL/wireless/blutooth hub provided by BT and I cant get all of the wireless pc's to connect. Three can and two cant. All of the computers are running windows 2000 and the two pc's that cant connect to the new hub have identical cards to those in two of the ones that can.

I have tried the following:
- disable the WEP encryption ... didnt work
- change the pc wifi card settings .... didnt work
- tried auto ip allocation and manual ip allocation ..... neither worked
- change the mac address of a pc that couldnt connect to the same as one that could ..... didnt work
- disabling the firwall (norton internet security 2005)
- unistalling the firwall
- change the card in one of the connected pc's with the card in one that cant connect ..... didnt work

As a result, I reconnected my old linksys 54g Access Point to the network and got the following results:
- all pc's can see both AP's
- the pc's that can connect to the BT AP can also connect to the linksys AP.... and happily switch between the two AP's
- the pc's that cant connect to the BT AP can connect to the old linksys AP (and get an ip allocated from the DHCP on the BT hub).

So I now have all the pc's connected to my home network again and accessing the internet but using 2 different AP's to get connected - an ugly solution.

Anybody got ideas on what to try next.

Advertisements