Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC to Tv Problem

• Please log in to reply

SteHarro

SteHarro

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My monitor blew the other day, but thats ok because i just bought a new laptop, but I do need all the files on my computer, so I thought I would connect it up to the tv using a tv out cable, just to send the files to my laptop.

While the boot screen shows fine on the tv screen, the login screen aftwards doesnt. I realised that i needed to chnage the setting on the computer to view the screen, but wihtout a monitor i cant do this. I can get to the set up screen on the boot screen, but I am not experinced with this at all.

Is there any way using these settings (or another way) to get the tv working without the need of a monitor.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

Ste

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you'll need a monitor to do that...as once the windows driver for your video card takes over from the default bios display drivers...you'll have to physically tell that driver to push video out on the tv....some drivers come with hotkey assignments for doing this though..i would check the manual for your card..or the manufacturer's website for that info

SteHarro

SteHarro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply, I actually found away around this (sort of). When the computer was booting up press F8 to bring up the safe mode ect. menu, in there is an option, enable VGA mode. This works apart from the top 1/4 of the screen dosent display, so its guess work if u need something up there. Another way that sort-of works is starting up in safe mode, however you cant perform all tasks. Although these methods were ok for my situation.

Thanks for the reply :tazz:

T

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Try lowering the res most televisions only do 800x600 or 1024x768