Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OS not found on laptop hard drive...

• Please log in to reply

wraith666

wraith666

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
okay this is basically whats been driving me crazy for the past week.....my latptop(compaq presario 900) crash months ago but i was able to recover my data with a usb adapter after that i bought a IDE to laptop adapter so i would be able to install a clean version of windows xp using my desktop pc everything was going find except when i placed the HD back in the laptop it just shows a black screen saying operation system not found ...does anyone know why this shows up any suggestions would be helpfull thank you...

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can't do what you did to install windows xp...xp is directly tied to the hardware platform that it's installed on...if you install xp on one motherboard profile (i.e. desktop) then try to boot to another motherboard profile (i.e. laptop) it will not boot...at all..ever...you HAVE to install xp on the motherboard/hardware that you plan on using it with...or another machine with the EXACT SAME motherboard...why did you take the drive out to install xp?

wraith666

wraith666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
my laptops cd-rom drive is messed up as well and without it i have no way of using the windows xp cd on it ...so your saying if i find another laptop similar to mines and install windows xp it should work on my old laptop??

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not similar...exact...well..exactly the same motherboard for sure...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...as an adendum there....does your lt have a removable cdrom drive? if so you may try switching cdrom drives and see if that makes a difference....some bios versions also allow for booting to usb devices which in theory would allow you to install windows from an external cdrom drive

wraith666

wraith666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thanks for the info it save me from many days looking on the internet and many nights sleep...

wraith666

wraith666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yeah it does have a removable cd-rom....as finding one to use is a small chance since almost no one i know has a laptop....yeah i tried using a usb cd-rom but i dont think my bios have what it takes

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...if the bios is capable of booting to usb..it's not automatic...it's a setting that you have to turn on in bios

wraith666

wraith666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ohh okay thanks il try it out..again thanks