Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleted the REAL SVCHOST.EXE

• Please log in to reply

soul40k

soul40k

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
well, this one is new to me. I had a virus actually delete my SVCHOST.EXE. Then as per it should, my computer did the "must close in 60 seconds" routine cause its missing blah blah.

So It restarted and its back up but i cant open any program, use the net, or anything like moving a new SVCHOST.EXE back in (had a backup form one of my other programs). So I cant fix it.

Is there any way? I tried going into safe mode but that didnt een work. I cant think of anything short of a XP CD repair or reformat. But for 1 file? Therse gotta be a way.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you cannot use run, press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to get task manager, click file then new task, type sfc /scannow then press enter

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker.

The System File Check is only concerned with replacing missing or corrupt system files, and does not affect installed software or data

soul40k

soul40k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
thank you. trying now.

soul40k

soul40k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Ok I do the SFC and it finishes but nothing happens afterwards. I do not know what to do anymore. I cant even reload windows now because my CD-ROM does not work sooo what can I do?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

soul40k

soul40k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
God I wish I could do that on this comp. System Restore was disabled when it came to me and never noticed untill now when I actually needed it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When did the CD ROM Drive stop working

soul40k

soul40k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
That is unknown to me. I haven't used it in ages. I would say when this happend, but I cant because of that reason. So it could have been a long time ago just because of a loose connection or something. I don't have an answer for that.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you know exactly which file is missing, you could use another PC to explore the XP CD, copy the file and e-mail it to this PC then put it back in the correct folder

The other consideration is, if sfc ran and did not ask for the disc then it isn't a missing system file, also there are usually a number of instances of svchost.exe running

Do you have trouble connecting to the internet

soul40k

soul40k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I get this error when I load windows and log-in:

System Error %H800706BA(-2147023174). The RPC server is unavailiable.

Just noticed that now.

I cannot connect to the internet, I do not have a start menu or bottom bar.
I cannot move items, copy, or paste items.

The only thing deleted was SVCHOST Im pretty sure

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you press ctrl + alt + delete keys together, do you get task manager, if so, click file then new task, type explorer.exe then press enter, if you get the start menu, click start then run, type services.msc, (or do the same with task manager, file new task) then press enter, check the RPC is started

If you cannot get those then you should look at a repair install but you need to see what the problem is with the CD Rom

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, type Y then press enter and as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

soul40k

soul40k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks for all the ideas. I will try it. If I cant get it, I guess Ill have to get a new CD-ROM cause it wont load any CD's. Oh well thats not that much. Stupid good DVD recorder though lol.

I will get back to you with results.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Has it only got one CD Drive

soul40k

soul40k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Ok I got services up found Remote Procedure Call (RPC) its set to Automatic Startup type, and RPC Locator set to manual.

I right clicked RPC and clicked STart and got this error:

Could not start the RPC service on Local Computer.
Error 2: The system cannot find the specified file.

So I tried to locator and got this:

Could not....
Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

So Its missing what ever file that is.

Edit:

YEs it only has the one CD Drive.

Edited by soul40k, 10 March 2006 - 07:53 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Whichever way you got run to work, type devmgmt.msc to get device manager, then locate the CD ROM Drive, right click it, click remove, confirm then reboot, windows will re-install it as it loads

If it still does not work, switch all the power off, if the PC tower has an off switch by the power lead, use that, and also remove the power lead, open the case to see if you cn spot anything obvious which is causing the drive to not work

If you do not see anything you can remove the drive and see if a local repair shop will check it for you