Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleted the REAL SVCHOST.EXE

• Please log in to reply

soul40k

soul40k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Yea I woulda taken it out n such to check it before but its a Laptop. Dont know if i want to go inside of this lol.

Ok, restarted. Waited for something to happen, got the "Does not pass the XP logo blahblah" So i continued installation anyways. Put the disk in, nothing. Opened my Computer, Went into the CD Rom Drive, got nothing.

Trying to restart and boot from that.

EDit:

actually after going my ocmputer D: drive I got "Please insert a disk into tdrive D:" yet i put it in there -.-

Edited by soul40k, 10 March 2006 - 08:09 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up, set the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 to save, type Y, put the XP CD in the drive, press enter then look for press any key to load from CD

soul40k

soul40k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Being a Dell I had to F12 and it just gave me a list of what to boot from. It loaded and went to a black screen with the blinking underscore for a while. Then it just laoded XP doing nothing.

Guess that means my CD Drive is broken

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Probably worth having it checked, is it under warranty?

soul40k

soul40k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Got it in 2004 and apperently not :tazz: sucks a lot.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if you can find a repair shop that will estimate it

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if you can find a repair shop that will estimate it

soul40k

soul40k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Well, I could not get it to work, but just as an update, I finally got a new CD-ROM, and after putting this new one in, it worked!!!

Now, I could say that it was one of these that fixed it;

-I am pretty sure that I had gotten a program on my thumbdrive and ran it from there but I cannot remember if i as able to since I think it may have said that the service could not be found.

- It was the new CD-ROM!

I don't know what the heck happend, but if I took the CD-Rom out, it would not work and if I put it back in it still wouldnt work. but then after putting this new one in, it worked no problem!

Sooo yea.. Computers suck! lol.