Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Please Advise on New Media Center PC

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am wanting to build a new Media Center PC (Successful recent Server Build MSI Platinum 915-P W/Intel P4 3.2 Mhz and Sata 1 Raid with 2 Gig DDR2 and Windows XP pro)

For this computer, I want to have a decent video card to drive a Hitachi 55" plasma @ 1080 resolution.
I do not game so 3D is not a factor. I would like to have 2 ea HDTV tuner inputs (off air and cable) and be able to tune ATSC also. A fast SATA drive Hard Drive (or two) for video recording etc.
Double sided DVD writer and DVD player for copying etc.

I want to use as PVR? recorder for stop, pause, resume recording.
and..Hi def audio would be nice.
PLease recommend MOBO cards and drives and I would likte to stay in a $1000 range budjet.
Is this too much to ask?

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Something similar to your server(if youre strapped for cash it might be cheaper to go AMD but for a purely recording and encoding intel would have a slight edge on the single core front, in a dual core the difference is less and AMD is much cheaper which makes up for it), if you arent going to be playing games and since its a plasma it has low res so thats not a bother(if youre after superior image quality LCD is the way to go by far plasmas superior), TV cards arent my thing really my knowledge ends at normal considerations if you want something more complex your gonna have to research it and be prepared to fork out some cash if you want the good stuff, a haupage USB tuner or an ATI all in wonder is usually ok for most people but if you want something a bit more, your probably gonna want to look more towards ATI cards A because of all in wonder if youre going that way and B there VIVO and tv out features are generally judged as being much better than that of nvidia cards but i dont hook up my TV or do VIVO often in enough on either card brand to warrant any strong opinion from myself.

Sound card if you can afford it X-fi but hi-def audio is more of a marketing gimmick its not any different from normal audio you get on DVDs and games any sound card can do it but an x-fi has tremendous signal processing power and if you want perfect sound its the best choice.

HD size you want to have about 500Gb if youre gonna do recording of videos especially in HD the files take a large amount of space to record before encoding to something more managable, Probably a good way to go is a pair of 300GB sataIIs with a 16Mb cache in your bog standard non raid set up. To get your PVR features lots of software like showshifter which also does the full recording stuff as well, im pretty sure its free as well.

Edited by warriorscot, 09 March 2006 - 05:08 PM.

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
for the gfx card get the X1900XT if you ahev money or the an X1800XL. lower than that and you're on your own. CPU, get a AMD 4400+ dual core or Opteron 165, they are good. or if you're the intel buff, get a 930 3 GHz Dual core. Storage, get 4 250Gb and run it in RAID 0+1, that way you get fast storage, and safety. and 1 Tb of storage, if not get 4 120Gb or what ever. don't have too big an HDD or else you'll spend all weekend copying one HD to another should one fail you, best get small HDDs but lots if data saftey if more of concern

Sound, get the Audigy 2 NX USB, it's external and has a remote or else the Audigy 2 platinum with the 5.25in box

Edited by Hammm, 12 March 2006 - 10:30 PM.