Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP System Tray

• Please log in to reply

winterlady

winterlady

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have not been able to figure out why my system tray is acting strangely, I am operating on a Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade. The system tray will display my selected active icons only when it wants to, maybe every 4th to 6th start up? For one, my McAfee Security Icon usually not showing in my system tray makes me a little nervous, now I'm not sure it's running at start up. I've double checked in my properties of the task bar / start up menu and (for example) the McAfee Security is selected in the start up menu. so it appears as though it's running and active but is not showing in the system tray at every start up as it should be?? :tazz: Please help, I need some advice in how to correct it, if possible. Thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have the arrow on the right of the taskbar

[attachment=7088:attachment]

When you checked in taskbar properties, are they set to hide when inactive, or always show, click apply if you change anything

winterlady

winterlady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thank you but, I already have those marked to "always show". I did a web search for a fix for this problem and found a posting with the instructions to "log off as user" then "log back on" and the system tray icons that should be showing will all be there, this person did not have any explanation for why this seems to work. I tried it and sure enough all my system tray icons loaded, not sure why it worked? I did look at another fix for this that was posted on the internet which also suggested it has something to do with the "log on / off as user", that instruction was to set your computer to "require users to enter a password to log on", I have also done that as well, so far all my system tray icons are now loading, why this works I have no idea, do you?? :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Not heard of this, but thank you for letting me know the reason for it

yonn

yonn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I thank you. i've been having the same problems for weeks and you helped me to sovle it. I logged off and back on and things had changed!

yonn