Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Broken Flash in Firefox 1.5.0.1

• Please log in to reply

Gladius

Gladius

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
So I've upgraded my perfectly working FF to the already mentioned new version some time ago. And I also read that I should download the latest Flash for it.

So I did. Only, when I tried to install it, the installation died in mid-install and never completed. I've had to kill the installation process via the Task Manager. Ever since then, Flash in my FF is broken. It works about 30% of the time, and the remaining time I get a pop-up window telling me that the plug-in has performed an illegal operation (I'm not 100% sure of the wording, something to that effect) and giving me the option to not be notified again of it not working throughout the browser session, if I tick off the option.

Since then I've tried just about everything to install it again - but installation off the downloadable Flash executable installer always hangs as it has originally. Web installs seem to work just fine, but as soon as I close everything down and start FF anew, it's back to being broken.

Since Flash doesn't show as an installed plug-in in FF, I can't even remove it to attempt to reinstall it. In short, I don't see any obvious way to fix it. I hope someone here can help me out, because it's really starting to piss me off.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
What I would do in a situation like this is to uninstall FF. But first... export your bookmarks to your desktop. Also, if you have setup any customized chrome settings (user chrome, user content) save those files too. They can be used in the reinstalled chrome folder.

After you have uninstalled FF, go to C:\Program Files... and delete the Mozilla FireFox folder. Also go to C:\Document and Settings\Your user name\Application Data... and delete the Mozilla folder there.

Then reinstall FF, then reinstall Flash.

You will then need to download/install any extensions if you use them. Also copy your User chrome and User Content file back into your Chrome folder.

A bit of a hassle to set up FF again especially if you have customized it a bit... but sometimes it's the most painless solution.

Just FYI... I have tried FF 1.5 and don't like how it runs. Seems a little buggy to me. I still use ver 1.0.7 on all 4 of my machines.

Good luck! :tazz:

Gladius

Gladius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Well, I didn't list reinstalling as an option because I'd really rather not do it considering the trouble involved the customize it again and to export all the bookmarks etc. I was hoping there'd be a non-lethal solution... Not to mention that there's no guarantee that the Flash install wouldn't get messed up again.

Edited by Gladius, 10 March 2006 - 09:51 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
My reply states that this is what "I" would do. I've been using FF for a long time and I've found that it works very well when it does. But if something messes up, it's easier to spend 1 hour customizing than to spend 5 hours troubleshooting and getting upset. I know it's a hassle, but this approach has always worked for me.

By deleting the folders I mentioned, you'll guarantee that the setup on your next install will be "clean". If you just install over a corrupted FF installation, FF may not replace the existing files in those folders.

And yes, there's no guarantee that flash will work after a new FF install, but you'll never know until you try.