Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bootup beep

• Please log in to reply

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
just noticed my home comp doesn't give off the single beep [signal that everything's fine?] when i boot up...it's been that way for a while now. It still gives beeps for errors[such as RAM not seated properly, or vid card] though... any ideas? no big, really, but it'd be great if i can have it back. :tazz:

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The single beep comes only when the computer is turned off, then turned on again. It won't beep with a restart.

There is no enable/disable for this beep, so if there doesn't seem to be any problems without the beep, it shouldn't matter to the system.

What you could do if you really want to pursue this is to pull the bios battery. This will reset the bios to default settings and perhaps get your beep to return. Be aware that any changes you made to the system bios will be reset so you will need to go into the bios to set those things up again.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could also just say "beep" at the point that you know it was supposed to come from the system...if it makes you feel better

neverborn

neverborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
no big. thanks anyway!