Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive Reformat

• Please log in to reply

Triplesicx

Triplesicx

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay i have a small problem... i am reformatting my computer, and reinstalling windows xp MCE. I have two hard drives, C: Which is my system drive and has a 40 gigabyte capacity. My second, Z: contains all my media files and has a 19 gigabyte capacity. After i have finished formatting C: Drive i try to access Z: through 'my computer' in the start menu, however the system drive is at that is shown. I have also tried to access it via disc managment, and it only shows the capacity and the amount of data on the drive, and says its healthy. There are no options with the drive other than reformatting it when you right click on it in disc managment.l I dont want to lose my media files because i have a vast collection of them, what can i do??
Thanks!!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Triplesicx! Welcome to G2G!

When you are in disk management, what file format does it say for your C drive? Does it say NTFS or FAT32?

Fenor

Triplesicx

Triplesicx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Both drives are shown As NTFS

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
So you are saying that when you open MY COMPUTER, all that is listed there is your 40GB hard drive that Windows is installed on? The other drive doesn't appear at all?

Fenor

Triplesicx

Triplesicx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
That is correct, the 40gb drive is the only one showing. i have encountered this problem before and all i had to do was format the 19gb drive, but now i dont really want to do that because of personal media and pictures that are on the drive.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
How comfortable are you taking off the side panel of the computer? If you're not comfortable, do you have a family member/friend that is?

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 09 March 2006 - 09:27 PM.

Triplesicx

Triplesicx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I put together the computer so im fairly familiar with the inside of it

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Good to hear. Making your own computer from parts is the only way to go. :tazz: Now when you set up the computer, did you set up the jumpers on each of the hard drives, so that your 40GB harddrive is set to MASTER and your 20GB is set to SLAVE? Or are they both set to CABLE SELECT? If they are both set to CABLE SELECT (or if only one is) then change them so they are MASTER and SLAVE. If you are unsure on how to jumper the drive, most drives usually say on the front for which position the jumper should be in for MASTER, SLAVE and CABLE SELECT. If it doesn't say on the front, then turn it over and look on the green board next to where the jumpers are and see if it listes MA, SL, CS next to any of the jumpers. If none of this works and you are unsure, then post the make and model of the hard drive and I will help you figure it out.

Fenor

Triplesicx

Triplesicx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I am almost positive that the 40GB's jumpers are set to master, and the 19GB are set to slave... you may be right however, both drives may be set to CABLE SELECT. The last two times i have reformatted have been in fairly quick succession, and the time before last i had changed the jumpers because i was experiencing drive difficulties when i installed a different HD... saying that the jumpers are set incorrectly, are my HD's likely to be damaged, even after i set them properly? THanks for your help

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Having the drives jumped to CS won't cause damage to them, but could cause your computer to act a little strange. When you installed windows the last time, did you maybe be accident delete the partition on your 20GB harddrive?

Fenor

Triplesicx

Triplesicx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, i have taken my computer apart, unhooked both drives from The IDE cables and power, and checked the jumpers. Both Appear to be set in the proper position. My Primary Master is a Maxtor 4k040h2(40GB), and my primary slave is a Quantum Fireball CX20.4a(19GB). I am sure i didnt delete the partition on the Quantum when i last installed windows. In my BIOS the proper drives are recognized as master and slave respectivley.
I am confused....

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If possible, I would try hooking up your 20GB hard drive into another computer, like a family member's or friend's and see if the files are there. If they are not, then for some reason the partition on the hard drive got deleted and there are some recovery tools that you can use, but the good one's cost about $40USD.

Fenor