Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 98

• Please log in to reply

ronnisnana

ronnisnana

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am new to this site and am not a "computer geek" so let me apologize ahead of time. First let me say I am using a Presario with Windows 98. The computer was on the internet when it froze. I tried everything I knew to do. I finally had to shut off the computer. :) Now, when it is turned on the windows 98 screen comes up, but it will not go any further. I can start windows in safe mode. Can anybody help with this problem?

:tazz: ronnisnana

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello ronnisnana...

From Safe Mode, click "Start", then "Shutdown", select the option to "Restart in MS-DOS mode", and click "Ok".

At the prompt C:\Windows>, type scanreg /restore (Note the space after scanreg), and press "Enter".

In the resulting window you will see 4 or 5 files...use the arrow keys and select one in the list that is marked as "Started"...go down a couple if possible. Once a file is selected, press "Enter". This procedure will roll back the registry and should allow you to boot into windows normally.

Let me know how it goes.

wannabe1

ronnisnana

ronnisnana

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for helping Wannabe1,
In safe mode the shutdown only has shutdown and restart. Not restart in ms-dos. However in programs list there is prompt for ms-dos. I tried it from there. No luck. I am at the end of my rope so any help you can give would be highly appreciated. Thanks again!

:tazz: ronnisnana

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We'll just have to get to a DOS prompt another way...this procedure won't run from Windows. :tazz:

Download this Win98SE OEM Startup Disk and save it to your desktop. Double click on the downloaded file and put a floppy disk in the drive when prompted to do so. to create the Startup Disk.

Put the diskette you just created into the drive on the problem machine and power it on. It should boot to a DOS options screen (Start with cd-rom support, etc...)...press Shift + F5 for command prompt (A:\)

At the A:\ prompt, type c:, and press "Enter". At the C:\ prompt, type windows\command\scanreg /restore (again, note the space after scanreg), and press "Enter". This should bring up the files I spoke of earlier.

wannabe1

ronnisnana

ronnisnana

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It's me again :tazz:

I did as you said, restarted as it told me to. It came up to the windows 98 screen again, but never actually started. The restore date was all the way back to 2/23/06. It said it was restored back to when it had no errors. What do you think?

ronnisnana

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you can still start in Safe Mode, do so. Then click Start, point to "Programs", then to "Accessories", then to "System Tools" and select "Scandisk". Check the box to "Automatically fix errors" and then start the scan.

Does this help?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 11 March 2006 - 02:11 PM.

ronnisnana

ronnisnana

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Good Morning Wannabe1

Scandisc says it finds no errors. At this point I have been looking for anything. On the Windows 98 Startup Menu #5 is Command Prompt Only. After selecting this it gives me the following:
128...unknown error (code 5) Do you know what this means? Will exploring like this compound my problem? Thanks for all your help by the way. You are a God send.

ronnisnana

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

128...unknown error (code 5)

This indicates that it is probably a startup program that is causing the machine to not start...unfortunately, it doesn't know which one it is.

Let's try a selective startup and see if we can pinpoint the guilty application. Click Start, then Run, type msconfig, and press "Enter". Click the "Startup" tab and scroll to the bottom of the list of startup applications. Remove the tick from the bottom application and reboot...does it boot normally? If not, put the tick back in that check box and remove the one above it and reboot. Repaeat this until it boots normally, make note of the application that was deselected and list it here for me.

Note that some Anti-Virus programs have more than one entry in the list...deselect all you see at the same time.

wannabe1

ronnisnana

ronnisnana

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Wannabe1

Sorry it took so long to get back. I have been ill. Well, bad news. None of them worked. What do you think? Thanks!

ronnisnana