Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Connectivity Problems

• Please log in to reply

jsb2127

jsb2127

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey Everyone

My computer has recently started to have unresponsive USB ports. It just randomly occured one day. I came back to plug in and charge my IPOD and my entire computer froze up and I was forced to reboot. I also recently purchased an external harddrive that is supposed to have plug and play capabilities and it causes the computer to freeze as well. I read somewhere that it may have to do with the Intel USB EHC (it is read as the Intel PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller - ICH5 in my device manager). When this particular USB device is disabled, I am able to plug in USB devices without the computer locking up. However, the computer either does not recognize it when plugged into a particular port or it states that the necessary driver software is not installed for the particular device when it is plugged into a different port. To clarify, my computer does recognize that something is plugged into its USB port when the enhanced port is disabled, but it will not be able actually use the device. This is a pretty frustrating anomaly especially since I'm not sure how it happened! I recently downloaded the win2000 SP4 and it still did not resolve the probably. Anything you guys can tell me will help. Thanks alot!

Advertisements