Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Things just aren't working right

• Please log in to reply

szerwa

szerwa

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey all,

I used geeks to go awhile ago to clean up my computer and it removed a lot of adware. It's been probably about a year and now I've run into a different problem. So far these are the problems I've encountered withing the past month:

1) Installed the TurboTax software (not the website version) and button, such as "start here" were invisible and all the links were life-less, meaning nothing happened when I clicked on them.

2) In Yahoo Messenger, I try to chat with a friend but everytime I send my message it appears as though nothing happens. My message does not display in my message box. However, the person I'm chatting with does receive the message I sent. So for some reason I just can't view it. But this also leads to problems such as the inability to send files and to phot share.

3) I tried to do an file search on my computer yesterday through Start-Search-For Files or Folders and the Exlpore window popped up like usual with the window divided into a right hand side and a left had side. Normally on the Left hand side there will be datafields to enter search information, but there was nothing there. No data fields, no search button, nothing.

It seems like all this happened right after I installed my D-link wireless router, but I don't see how that could cause the problem. Also, I just recently installed a new DVDRW drive that lets me read dvd's but not write to them. I've contacted the manufacturer and they gave me a couple updates to do, but the Adaptec/ASPI update won't work. There should be an adaptec folder on my computer, but for some reason it's not there. Anyway, if anyone knows what might be going on in my computer I would definitely appreciate the help. Thanks.

Alex

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi szerwa...

Open Internet Explorer, click on "Tools" on the toolbar, and select "Internet Options". Under the "Security" tab, click the "Custom Level" button. Make sure the following are enabled under ActiveX controls and plug-ins:
  • Binarie and Script Behaviors (if present)
  • Run ActiveX controls and plugins
  • Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting
The following should be selected for "Prompt":
  • Download signed ActiveX controls
All other entries under ActiveX should be disabled.

wannabe1