Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Indexing Problem

• Please log in to reply

Sirben

Sirben

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey , I am new to this site and I did read before posting and have searched for 'index' 'video' 'index problem' etc etc. I have been looking for the better part of 2 hours and am still in no better shape than I started. I REALLY hope someone can help.

I am just a notch above being computer illiterate, so please break answers down as simple as you can LOL. OK, I have been playing around with Windows Movie Maker and also a video editor I got with my DVD drive. Nothing fancy, I just have pieced together some clips & edits of things I wanted to place & burn on DVD so I can save them and watch them on stand alone DVD players. Anyway, I have a pretty large sized video clip I downloaded and when I try to trim it down by placing it into one of the editors, I get a

This file is not indexed or compatible with this program ( or something close to that effect ). When I play the clip in Windows Media Player it plays fine but I can't fast forward or rewind it. Just plays straight through. I have found posts this evening that say I need to 'use the indexing program to open and play it and it will become indexed' What Indexing program ?? , I have no idea what was used to create this file. I have downloaded Codecs (still no idea what those are I just tried it as an idea someone had posted elsewhere) , I have downloaded file changers to change the files but nothing seems to work.

It's a VERY GOOD possibility that I have done something wrong along the way but nowhere can I find a simple straight forward answer as to how I can fix this problem. Can I even fix it ? The file extension on the file I am trying to edit is .mpg & it says file Type: Movie file (mpeg).

Anyone out there able to tell me what I need to do to edit this clip so I can save parts of it ?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Ben

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are they ASF Files

Another thing to do is convert them to another format, the conversion will index them

Sirben

Sirben

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for the quick response to my problem Keith. As I posted I don't know a whole lot about the computer stuff. I did a search about the ASF files and what they are/do & from what I read I don't think they are ASF files. I have no problem getting the clip to play for me in Windows Media Player. By that I mean I don't get the error message that was posted by people with that file type problem. It said after about 4minutes a message popped up 'not compatible' and stopped playing.

With mine, the file plays all the way through with no problems. I just can't fast forward, rewind, or adjust the section of the clip by moving the slider. It just plays start to finish and thats it. Normally, I would be content with that, but it's a big file and I was hoping to trim it down by editing out unimportant parts. Let me see if I can get the error message that pops up when I try to place it in Windows Movie Maker program and if I can I will copy & paste it so you can see what it says exactly, I may not have given good representation of it in my post.

Here it is, all I did was copy/paste it here.

The file C:\Program Files\Videoclips\My Shared Folder\Video\Video clip 001 [Full - Great Quality].mpg is not indexed and cannot be imported.

The conversion to another format was an option I was trying to figure out how to do. Can I just change the file extension on the end without messing up the file ? or what type program would you think I need to accomplish the conversion. I had read that changing the file type may work but all the editing programs that I would normally import it to the resave it with won't accept the import. I get the error I posted above.

Again , thanks for your help and speed of your answer to my problem.

Ben

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have a look through the free video editing applications thread pinned at the top for the download link for video dvd maker free

Video DVD Maker Free is a quick and remarkably easy tool for mastering DVD disks from your own home-made videos right out of the box. Plus, Video DVD Maker allows you to deploy your video project on different types of disks, including CD R/RW, DVD R/RW and DVD R DL.

The program enables you to capture video from a TV tuner, a web camera, a DV camcorder, or any other video device. You can save the captured data as an uncompressed AVI file, or use one of the compression methods to save it in the format you want. In addition to the video devices, you can import video from video files in different formats, including AVI, DIVX, XVID, MP4, MPG, WMV, ASF, to name a few. To gain this ability, you must first install the appropriate codec, which you can download, for example, from http://www.free-code...Codec_Packs.htm.

Video rendering is accurate and blazingly fast. As soon as the project is ready, you can burn its DVD image onto a CD or DVD disk. The DVD production is configurable with such options as specifying the project name, PAL or NTSC system, video or audio compression.

Video DVD Maker is perfect for those people who don't want to spend too much time on learning a complex video editing platform, or want to save money by not purchasing value-added features that they will never use. Simplicity of use comes with the user interface, which has been designed as a three-step wizard for creating a DVD with just a few clicks. Now anyone, regardless of their creative ability, can master and deploy a professional output. At any point of video authoring, you can refer to the Help file with one press of the F1 button. However, the software is so straightforward that you can get started without any technical documentation.

Getting started with Video DVD Maker is easy:

Step 1: Capture. Jumpstart your DVD authoring with the Capture panel. Here you can capture video and audio from the video device. Video, which is being captured, can be previewed in the preview window. The compression method of the output file can be chosen on the Setup page.

Step 2: Render Timeline. Here you can add extra video files to your project and then render the time line. The process can be viewed in the preview window. Thanks to the optimized rendering algorithm the project can be processed blazingly fast.

Step 3: Burn. And finally, you can deploy your DVD project onto a CD or a DVD in minutes through the built-in burning facility. In this panel you can specify the name of the input, select the drive and erase the disk, if it has already been recorded. Added to this is the ability to record VIDEO_TS files, which have been created in other programs.

Sirben

Sirben

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Fantastic, thank you sooooooo much. Finally, this file has cooperated with me and my attempts to edit it. I really appreciate your help & time working me through that problem. Great help & suggestions and done in a way I could actually understand. Simply awesome.

Thank you again
Ben

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know