Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hosting FTP on my desktop machine

• Please log in to reply

first_strike

first_strike

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I was wondering if this is possible.
Option 1) I would like to open 10GB of space on my current HDD for use of storing files for my buddies in a game clan. Is it possible to do this on FTP protocol? I would prefer not to format my drive if possible and I would also like to limit access to a specific file for them so that they could not access my private information.

Option 2) If that isn't possible I can also buy a second HDD and partition it for this use. I don't know how to partition but I can read and figure it out. Then I would like to share that 10GB of storage for my "clan" members use on FTP protocol. I would also prefer them to have login names and passwords in order to further protect my machine.

System:
AMD 2800+
120 GB HDD 8000RPM 8MB cache
School Network ~T1:
2005-02-22 23:47:25 EST: 23626 / 14947
Your download speed : 24193926 bps, or 23626 kbps.
A 2953.3 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 15306122 bps, or 14947 kbps.

Advertisements

first_strike

first_strike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I mean Maxtor 7200RPM.

usedtoknowalittle

usedtoknowalittle

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Easily doable, even with free FTP servers. Just be prepared that if you don't password protect access to the FTP server, you WILL be bombarded and compromised.

first_strike

first_strike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I know you're not one of the Techies, but do you know where I could find some instructions on how to do this?

Yeah, I'm definitely going to make it password protected.

usedtoknowalittle

usedtoknowalittle

• Pip
  • 8 posts
GIYF (Google is your friend)

Plug in "FTP SERVER FREE" and you will find a myriad of free, personal edition FTP servers available for your use. Download one and follow the instructions.

You will need to ensure your computer's FTP port (23 IIRC) is accessible.

Here's one: http://www.sofotex.c...oad_L27746.html

usedtoknowalittle

usedtoknowalittle

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry, FTP is 21, not 23

paddyt

paddyt

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi,

You can actually use IIS which is a windows service that you can install if you have a pro version of windows (so 2k or XP), you just go to add/remove programs and select add/remove windows components, then you use this to define the folder you want to act as an ftp server (note you need to create a seperate user account if you want to have a username and password for the ftp location).

Hope this is of some use.

Paddy

usedtoknowalittle

usedtoknowalittle

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Installing IIS just to get an FTP server is an idea that is best left behind, unless one is willing to invest quite a bit of time making sure the IIS that is installed is "locked down." In other words, it is a security risk that exceeds the benefits of an FTP server.

I just installed FileZilla Server and it is completely secure and quite flexible.

first_strike

first_strike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yall don't have to reply anymore. I've got one setup quick, easy and free.

FTP is called Quick'N Easy FTP Server.