Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer not starting

• Please log in to reply

zookpoo

zookpoo

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Today i was uning the computer, when it totally stopped responding. I needed to unplug it to get it to turn off, as the switch on the PS and the power/reset buttons didn't do anything. Most of the computer parts are around a year or two old, the most recent thing I put into it was a video card about 2 months ago. The only problem I've ever had was with my old video card, it would stop responding when used in certain games.

When it stopped, I figured it was overheating or something, so I let it go for 30-45 minutes. When I tried to turn it on, nothing happened. I unplugged all of it, and back again. Nothing happened to it, no fans or case lights were coming on, but the little blue light on the network card still came on when it was plugged in.

So far i've only tried booting without the video card. Don't really want to go further without any experienced advice.

Specs.
BIOSTAR M7NCD Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 400 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton 333MHz FSB Socket A Processor Model AXDA2500BOX
2 X mushkin SP3200 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model 991093
Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JB 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive

I can't find the exact power supply is, but is was a 400x Powmax

edit: I've disconnected everything from the motherboard and the power button does nothing.

Edited by zookpoo, 09 March 2006 - 10:21 PM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Take a look at the power supply when you try to power up. Do you see the power supply fan running? If not, the power supply died. These are not intended to be user serviceable, and it would need to be replaced. Here is a link to some good information on power supplies, best I have found on the net: http://www.hardforum...isplay.php?f=93

zookpoo

zookpoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
When I disconnected the PSU from the motherboard, I noticed that that one of the pins was darkened on the motherboard, and on the PSU. Would this mean that the motherboard could be bad too? i do not have a new PSu yet to test.