Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows2kpro registry error

• Please log in to reply

PartsJuggler

PartsJuggler

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am attempting to repair a registry error in Win2k pro. Hoping for a simple fix (don't laugh :tazz: )

It's a C0000218 Regestry file failure error but this one isn't too bad. The only time this error happens is when I'm cold booting. It'll boot to the w2k screen where you can see the bars load, go to the blue screen and tell me the typical %windir%\System32|Config|Software or it's log or alternate.

If I push reset, the pc will then boot normally. If I warm boot (simple restart after a program install for example) the pc will reboot normally.

I did install a second harddrive (western digital 16g) to this computer (an HP something or other older pc), deleted some programs, emptied junk files, and insalled most programs and personal files to the new drive. I had the page file set on the new drive but I decided to place it back onto the OS drive in the hope that it might help the error. But, I don't dare shut the pc off to find out. I know from what research I've done on line that sometimes this reg issue is related to a hardware change or ram error.

I'd also used a reg cleaner (cc cleaner) to clear out some files that I KNEW were no longer associated with programs that I knew I'd uninstalled. But...I think I goofed and forgot to uncheck the log cleaning feature.

I do have cc set to save a registry copy, but don't see a feature for restoring that copy.

Additionally, I exported a registry copy just to have "just in case".

Because it DOES still boot, do you think there is a 'simple' fix available? I'm not overly familiar with w2k and nt file systems.

this is an older used pc came 'as is'.

Any simple ideas? If it were w98 I'd have it use the good reg. setting I have saved because I know that one works. Why it reverts to an error after shutting the pc down, I don't know.

Any advice?

thanks so much!
partsjuggler

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The System File Checker tool gives an administrator the ability to scan all of the protected files to verify their versions. The System File Checker tool also checks and repopulates the %SystemRoot%\System32\Dllcache folder. If the Dllcache folder becomes damaged or unusable, you can use either the sfc /scanonce or sfc /scanboot command to repair the contents of the folder.

PartsJuggler

PartsJuggler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
This win2k has sp4 update in it. I know sometimes sfc asks for a disk and of course the sp4 files aren't on the disk, they 're on the hd. BEFore I do the sfc, I need to know if sfc will have sense enough to look for the proper files, and not the ones on the disk. Secondly, will using it disrupt the installed programs?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It won't disrupt the programmes but it will look for the files on the disc

PartsJuggler

PartsJuggler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank-you Keith!