Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSODs on startup

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...a little info for me please

what kind of video card do you have?
how many sticks of ram are in the machine?

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Could it be to do with my video drivers?

thanks,

Kurt

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sure could..

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Oh [bleep] soz i didnt no there were 2 pages sorry.

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
ok ill do that now.

my video card is a sapphire X700 pro 256mb AGP
i have to sticks of ram 1 256mb running at 133mhz and the other is a 512mb pc3200 running at 133mhz cause of the other stick of ram.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...try updating the video drivers...also try running with only one stick of ram in the machine at a time....and see if the error persits..if you get the bsod with the first stick in...switch to the other stick and see if it makes a difference...

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
I cant scan because i cant find the disk. Ok ill do that and report on it 2morro cause it only happens when i first turn my pc on.

Thanks,

Kurt

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

I cant scan because i cant find the disk. Ok ill do that and report on it 2morro cause it only happens when i first turn my pc on.

Thanks,

Kurt

If you can't find the disk for drivers go to the Manufactures website and download them.

Also Start / Settings / Control Panel / System / Advanced Tab

Under Startup and Recovery choose Settings

Uncheck the box next to "Automatically Restart" under System failure.(You will have to push power button to restart now but will hold the code on screen longer and not flash by)

Make sure there is a Check the box next to "Write an event to system log"

Close

Start / Settings / Control Panel / Administrative Tools /Event Viewer

Highlight System on the left pane. Do you see any RED ERRORS in the right pane?If so double click on the error line and a box will pop up with the error code or file giving the problem at that point in time.Try to take note of the time on the BSOD and match the error with the time.

Might make it easier for dsenette to see where this is coming from.

Regards,
TakeBK

P.S
Not saying 133 and 3200 will or won't work together if 3200 is downsized (Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't depending on all factors) but if they have a different Clock cycle rating CL2,CL3 it might be a problem.Check the info on that also.

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Its still doing it im gonna take a stick of ram out 2nite and start it up 2morro with just the 512 stick in it

Advertisements

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Ok i did it and i still got the BSOD. I took out the 256mb then I swaped around the RAM.

Thanks,

Kurt

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
I left my pc on 2day and my pc frooze and when BIOS loaded up it came up: error loading operating system. so i went into recovery console and typed fixboot could this be a problem due to the BSODs?

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Today i got a BAD_POOL_CALLER. I installed Omega ATI drivers and they seem to be working better but I still get a BSOD when I load up windows.

Thanks,

Kurt

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Can you help me please. I had the same "error loading operating system" and i had to fix it with a boot disk from my laptop and it took 3 or 4 goes to get widows to load. and i had a: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION.
Please help !!

Kurt

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=329284 here's what i get for the machine check error...deffinitely pointing at hardware..let me reread this whole thread...as...to be honest..i kind of lost track of you..sorry.