Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows wont start

• Please log in to reply

hiphopbabe

hiphopbabe

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
hi there im new 2 all this so plz can some1 help me. in installed a new os windows xp home since ive done ive had many problems but the latest problem is when i switch comp on and it loads it goes straight in2 the recovery options or a blank screen when it does finally loads up i dont know what to do weather 2 reformatt again or jsut keep tryin and c if it loads up ok :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how did you install xp home? where did you get the version of xphome that you installed? what was on the machien before you switched?

hiphopbabe

hiphopbabe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i installed xp home by pressin f2 and reboot so the that the cd/dvd drive was on top so when booted it when straight in2 options 2 reformatt or repair the blue screen. i bought the disc from my local computer shop ans it has the proof of license certificate of authenticity which i stuck on the side of my computer. has to what was on the computer before was all the programmes that i use eg ares for music and a few games.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you clarify which version of windows was on the PC

Did you remove that before installing XP

Has it ever run properly

hiphopbabe

hiphopbabe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hi thx for replyin i had windows prof which was already on when i bought the comp and i did a full reformatt not a quick 1 .but since i installed xp home ive had loads of problems since it installed if i couldnt fix the problem the only option i did was a format again that works but it happens again a few days later

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got any data you want to keep which is on the drive

hiphopbabe

hiphopbabe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
no there is no data to keep theres nothing inportant on it. before i reformatted i put what i needed 2 disc

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you use another PC to get boot and nuke

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

You can use either the floppy or CDR version

This will comprehensively clear the drive and will take an hour per 25GB of drive size

Then install XP using the default NTFS format, not quick

Check it is creating RAW 1 partition on C: if it is any different, press the reset button to restart the install, delete any partition already created and it will default to C

Install the firewall and antivirus if you have those on disc, install the router, update the firewall and anti virus programmes and then go straight to Microsoft Update

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Install all the critical updates, if you have an ATI video card, get .net framework from the optional downloads

Then

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Then

Download, install and run Everest Home Edition

Click + next to computer then summary

Look on right for the list of installed programmes and check at the various manufacturer's sites for updates

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything