Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transferring Installed Software from Old Computer to New One...

• Please log in to reply

PGH

PGH

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Is it possible to transfer installed software from one computer to another (in the same way that files can be directly transferred), without having to reinstall it from scratch?

I am changing to a new laptop soon, but there is some software (like Photoshop - which I've had for ages - and which you don't change often due to the $$$ cost) for which I no longer have/can find the install disk, so can it be moved onto a new computer by simply transferring the install file/Program Files data file?

The same would apply for MS Office, except I've already purchased a new version of that (partly because I wanted to upgrade to the latest version) because I don't have the install/back-up disks, because it was pre-installed on my computer, as an extra option, when I purchased it.

I presume that this would be legal, if it is possible, as long as the software was only used on the new computer and removed from the old one after transferral.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Software, or to be more correct, modern software, cannot be transferred without reinstalling from the original CD. Older software sometimes can just be transferred easily and still work.

Most Microsoft programs are licenced in such a fashion that you can only use the software on one computer, so it needs to be removed from the old one first before going on the new one.

The other issue is that if your Office came preinstalled, it was probably OEM software which most likely ties it to that system it came on originally, but now you've got the upgrade edition, that shouldn't really be an issue IIRC.