Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need you help, I want to give a friend

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, I really don't know if this can be done but since my friend placed a shortcut to msconfig on my desktop, in a folder marked wth the usual derogative comments about it being "the piece of junk, of the piece of junk by the piece of junk". I for my part would really like to give him the shortcut to "reboot the computer in safemode" and place it on his desktop in return with words that I have yet to think of about how he should use this more often. Anyway, if it can be done let me know please.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so you want something that he will be tricked into clicking....that will restart his machine into safe mode? (not really understanding completely)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sounds like a most excellent devious trick. Perhaps make it look like his internet browser shortcut.

Edited by warriorscot, 10 March 2006 - 02:34 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could...in theory...if you had access to his boot.ini file to see what it normally says..make a modified version of it

with some of the settings here
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=239780

to where the boot.ini would look similar to

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Proffessional" /fastdetect /SAFEBOOT:MINIMAL(ALTERNATESHELL)
but how to modify his boot.ini safely from a command line...hmmm...still working on it

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
No, I don't wish to be divious here, actually I appreciate his msconfig shortcut and have it now on a USB key, which was simply the line below in a shortcut folder, simple and rather useless.

C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Binaries\msconfig.exe

So with that idea in mind, and because it is so useless (since F8 just before the windows screen on boot up gets you there too) it becomes the perfect useless gift on par with givng someone a pair of yellow socks in the real world then.

I throw this thread open then to any compleatly pointless shortcuts but not those normally on the screen like shortcut to recycle bin which is too lame I feel.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
aaahhh...i see you want to give him a completely useless present that actually does something...but something that you would do anyway by a different method...but without being sneakylike

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
How about a shortcut to your desktop (of course, placed on the desktop)? :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
make a text file in notepad and enter the text below
ECHO off
date /t  
time /t
pause
now press file > save as > make sure that the file type is "all files" and save the file as "whatTIMEisIT.bat" or something like that..just as long as it ends in .bat... now double click the .bat file on the desktop (or wherever you saved it to)

you should get a command prompt that looks like

C:\Documents and Settings\dsenette\Desktop>ECHO off
Fri 03/10/2006
04:37 PM
Press any key to continue . . .

when he presses a key...it will close

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Yes, rather like those adds you see on television where ones asks oneself "Gosh who on earth would honestly buy one of those". I certainly wouldn't like something sneaky as that is not my style, something stupid, yes I think everyone knows my style by now.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
dsenette, I am trying it out and it and if it is what I think it is, that is just great, sure it is safe though and how about turning it back if he asks?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just delete the file...all it's doing is opening up a command promt and displaying the %date% and %time% variables from the system info

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...if you want it to say something to him as well after it displays the time and date

you can add a line before the "pause" that says something like
echo GAME TIME!!!

and it will say

C:\Documents and Settings\dsenette\Desktop>ECHO off
Fri 03/10/2006
04:37 PM
GAME TIME!!!
Press any key to continue . .

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Thanks, I will use it, a lot depends on the message line, is it unlimited here?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as far as what you want it to echo? sure...don't know the per line character limit but as long as you start the line with echo...the prompt will print it on the screen so you could do

echo hello
echo there,
echo how
echo are
echo you
echo doing?

and that would print on the screen
hello
there,
how
are
you
doing?

but if there is a per line character limit..it's probably relatively large

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I am thinking of "Happy birthday to you" with the rest so it should be OK. Thanks for showing me the ropes here then.