Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore Application - RESOLVED

• Please log in to reply

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Still having trouble with hard disk install but at least it works. Now I'm starting to get program problems. I can not run System Restore. I get the following error message " System Restore Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I ran "sfc /scannow" and did not get any report of problems with Windows files.

I also was unable to open Microsoft Word. I then tried to remove it using Add/Remove programs but it wouldn't uninstall. I then manually deleted it. I tried to reinstall it with the origional Microsoft Office XP Small Business disk but it will not reinstall. I can't even get the disk to run Setup.exe. I get the following error message in the Windows Installer window: "The patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists. ......verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package." I have also tried to remove Office Small Business, using "add/remove programs in Control Panel" and after getting"preparing to remove" I get the same "verify patch package" message.

Is it possible that this is all related? Can't understand why I can't run Setup on Office disk.

PROBLEMS SOLVED:
In the Microsoft Knowledge Base I found the error message I was getting from Windows Installer. It had me download the "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility" which is used to remove registry remnants of Microsoft programs taht no longer work. This is very much the same as the Norton files used to completely clean the registry of prior Norton installations. I ran it and it allowed me to reinstall Microsoft Office Small Business. One problem down and many to go.

System Restore problem solved by reinstalling System Restore. Lost all restore points but at least it works. Thanks everyone who was trying to help.

Edited by Impala1ss, 10 March 2006 - 05:13 PM.

Advertisements