Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lots of problems!

• Please log in to reply

Will101

Will101

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Everytime i start up windows xp or resume from standby or hibernation, a dos screen pops up before i get into windows saying: " Please select operating system to start: 1. Microsoft windows Xp Home edition 2. Microsoft windows recovery console" And i dont know why its doing that. I would like it to stop.

I have run multiple registry fixers on my computer (1. Error nuker, 2. tuneup utilities 2006, 3. Advanced system optimizer) to fix registry problems, but it seems to have created problems instead.

I bought this acer laptop without a system recovery cd; instead i was told by my computer when i first booted it up, to burn recovery cd's (4).

Usually when i think that i am missing some important files on my previous laptop, i would use the recovery cd's. The cd's that i burned with this new laptop only allow for formatting, and i dont want to do that.

I was trying to fix my registry due to my system crashing while playing certain games, and due to my wireless internet connection always fluctuating and disconnecting.

My wireless connection always prevents my laptop froim going into standby(this is a new problem as well), and its really annoying to hear my computer making pop-up message noises when it is shut.

Sorry for this long post, but i am really in ned of help.

Thank you very much.

William

Advertisements

Will101

Will101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
here is a report for my system

Attached Files

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do start > run > msconfig

click on the boot.ini tab and post what the contents of the boot.ini file are

Will101

Will101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating system]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Here it is. Is there a reason for this occuring all of a sudden?

Thank you for your help.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the reason that it's happening is probably one of your registry fixers..they have a way of doing funky things... basically what something (probably one of your registry doodads) did was to add "\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
" to that line in the boot.ini...basically just gave you an easy way to get into recovery console..which..i don't see as a bad thing (in fact...it's pretty nifty)...but if that's bugging you we can stop that... just remove the
\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons from the end of that last line and you'll no longer et the option at start up...

Will101

Will101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Is there a way to restore all my important files without removing all my existing files?

I try to run system restore, but it deletes all my programs and files to the state at which it was restored.

I just want my important files replaced/fixed. Can you please tell me how to do this?

Thanks again

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

Will101

Will101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I did not receive the windows cd when i purchased this laptop, but i typed when you told me to, and i guess it is retrieving the information from my second partition.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it probably is...if it doesn't ask you for your cd then it is getting the info from the repair partition or the repair folder in windows which...as long as those files are not corrupt then it should work

Will101

Will101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
How would i know if these files are not corrupt?

Is there was a way to get these files from the 4 cd's that i was told by my comp to burn when i first started my laptop?

I burned these 4 cd's, but when i access them, there is only an option to format my comp from cd's or from secondary partition.

I wish they would have included the windows CD, this would have made things a lot easier.

I guess it's a good way for them to save money.

Is there a way to order a wondows cd from microsoft if i prove my operating system is valid?

I would like to have one.

Thanks again for your help.

Advertisements

Will101

Will101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
The scan is complete, but nothing happened after that. The screen just disappeared.

Should something have happened after the scan, like a window pop-up telling me that everything is replaced and fixed?

Strange... :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no...it does it's do then leaves like the wind....no "done" no "finished" no nothing

Will101

Will101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello again,

If it's not too much trouble, could my other questions be answered when you have the time?

Thank you again.

This site is great thanks to all you computer wizards :tazz:

cheers

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

Is there a way to order a wondows cd from microsoft if i prove my operating system is valid?

There is no need to prove your OS validity when ordering a new XP CD. Proving it's validity is only important when you want Windows updates or programs made by Microsoft.

Will101

Will101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I do not want to purchase a new windows cd, i just want one for free that should have come with my laptop.

Is that possible? :tazz: