Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

constant freezes

• Please log in to reply

2ndMOUSE

2ndMOUSE

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi , I really hope you can help me cos ive had a pc for about 5 or 6 years and ive never had a problem so frustrating that i feel like banging my head off the monitor everytime it happens , until now.

Ok , i was running windows 98 for a few years ( not online ) , and after i'd filled 35 gb of a 40gb hard drive with crap , and constantly getting errors , conflicts , and BSOD , i decided to scrap it all , take the plunge and reformat the whole disk and install XP ( as i am now online )

Now , i have xp and im accessing the net ( broadband )with a connexant accessrunner router.
The problem is this :

I boot up and sometimes it halts at " verifying dmi pool data " , at which point i reboot again and it gets to the desktop. I connect to the net , click on msn 7.5 , it signs me in -- shows the contact screen and then the msn today screen partially loads and the mouse cursor freezes on the screen. If i tip the mouse to one side the red light goes on and off ( its a transparent mouse )
If i dont go to msn and just browse online , it'll last for a few minutes before it freezes again while a page is loading in. This happens about 20 or 30 times a day and im at my wits end.

So far i've done this

bootscan with avast antivirus which showed up trojano-3428 ( which i deleted and it doesnt seem to be there anymore )
ran rootkit revealer ( which has found 10 discrepancies --- one ends in video.jpeg , and about 6 start with c\ system volume information\_restore[feacd426-2644-47dd-af76-4302c56db3db]rp30\snapshot\repository\fs\synth string-trance pluck ( these seem to relate to sound files )
Ive ran ccleaner and it hasnt come up with much
ive ran swatit which found an infected " hubis loopback device " ( which is a virtual midi cable that i dont even use )
AVGfree wont complete a full scan without freezing
Ive also ran A-squared also.
Ive ran ad-aware and its uncovered about 10 entries pertaining to alexa ( which doesnt seem to be too serious as i use firefox and not explorer )

After all this , it still freezes ( i installed my mouse drivers and nvidia riva tnt2 drivers but it got worse so i used system restore to roll back to before i installed those)

I apologise if this all sounds really confusing , but in a nutshell , ive tried everything i can think of , and im still scratching my head. Its even froze in safe mode!!

Please help before i go mad. I'm a computer musician and i need my pc to make my tracks and access my forum that i administrate.
Thanks in anticipation of your help !!!! :tazz: :) :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
could you post the full system specs of your machine?
also are you still getting blue screens at all?

2ndMOUSE

2ndMOUSE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
sorry , i thought that cos i entered my specs on signup to this forum that you'd be able to access 'em.
no prblem :

intel pentium 3 , 1.0ghz , 256 ram , 40 gb hard drive , nvidia riva tnt2 , creative labs soundblaster , typhoon wheel-less mouse ( stream 38 ) , typhoon multimedia keyboard , dell monitor , connexant accessrunner router

Is this related to video as it crashed earlier on when a small video screen appeared on a webpage but up until that time , it was ok with the rest of the page , and i think that msn today screen has a video on it which is where it crashes EVERY time. Its also guaranteed to freeze at the myspace login screen. No BSOD -- dont think its possible in xp ??
Anyway , i'll jus shut up cos you guys are the experts. :tazz:

Edited by 2ndMOUSE, 10 March 2006 - 06:05 PM.

2ndMOUSE

2ndMOUSE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
heres the hijack this log :

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 22:44:53, on 10/03/2006
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Conexant\AccessRunner ADSL\CnxDslTb.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\devldr32.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\chris\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CnxDslTaskBar] C:\Program Files\Conexant\AccessRunner ADSL\CnxDslTb.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft XML Parsing Service] msxml32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [MSNS PLUS XP2] msnnsg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft XML Parsing Service] msxml32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pDownloader.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{19A784CC-50DE-4C52-952E-C1E93B173B0E}: NameServer = 195.10.102.11 195.10.102.12
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{19A784CC-50DE-4C52-952E-C1E93B173B0E}: NameServer = 195.10.102.11 195.10.102.12
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{19A784CC-50DE-4C52-952E-C1E93B173B0E}: NameServer = 195.10.102.11 195.10.102.12
O18 - Protocol: msnim - 0 - (no file)
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: KOPSTGDYA - Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com - C:\DOCUME~1\chris\LOCALS~1\Temp\KOPSTGDYA.exe
O23 - Service: WK - Unknown owner - C:\DOCUME~1\chris\LOCALS~1\Temp\WK.exe (file missing)

Not much running cos i disabled msn messenger and windows messenger in msconfig.
Also spybot search and destroy said " congratulations - no immediate threats were found " , but still the freezes continue .......Help please....im desperate and at the end of my tether.

Edited by 2ndMOUSE, 10 March 2006 - 06:04 PM.

2ndMOUSE

2ndMOUSE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
please someone help me. my pc will probably freeze in another 5 minutes , yet again for about the 30th time today--i cant take much more of this and im counting on you guys to help me out........ :tazz:

Just now it froze on the faceparty " party chat " screen which opens up a separate window for instant messaging ( i think....cos it didnt fully load )

Plenty of info........... :) :) :)

Edited by 2ndMOUSE, 10 March 2006 - 07:24 PM.

2ndMOUSE

2ndMOUSE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Im nearly at the bottom of the second page now and it seems that no-one wants to help me out........................

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When you loaded Xp, did you have any problems installing it? If it is not too involved I would recommend that you reformat and reinstall XP. If this doesn't help then we'll have to check your hardware. How is it possible that you already acquired malware? Please install antivirus immediately after loading XP. If you have a disk with the antivirus install it before connecting to the net. Your first connection should be for updating your antivirus.

Just the other day I had a Compaq computer identical to yours in specs. Without going into details I'll just mention that the motherboar ended it's life while XPwas loading. Loading XP is a demanding operation and a piece of hardware which is in marginal condition can end it's life during the installation. I am not suggesting that this is your case. Just a story.

Before doing anything please enter Control panel > System > Hardware > Device manager. Please report if you see any yellow question or exclamation marks near any of the hardware items.

Edited by The Skeptic, 11 March 2006 - 01:21 PM.

2ndMOUSE

2ndMOUSE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
many thanks for replying skeptic , but reformatting and reinstalling windows is really the very last resort at the minute as i have a lot of files ( music software ) that i cant backup at present cos i have no cds. If there is absolutely no other alternative , then i guess i'll reluctantly have to do it.

however , in device manager , under " other devices " it has a yellow question mark beside " PCI simple communications controller "

and a bit of additional info -----

In system Information > components > storage > problem devices , it lists these 2 enties

1.NTAPM/Legacy interface node --------- root\ntapm0000-------this device is disabled

2.PCI simple communications controller ------ pci\ven_1813&dev4000&subsy-------the drivers for this device are not installed

Please help---ive reformatted and installed xp about 5 times already and dont want to have to do it all over again.

2ndMOUSE

2ndMOUSE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I got bored waiting on help and reformatted my drive yet again , and reinstalled xp which froze halfway through on the 1st attempt --- 2nd attempt completed but screen went black a few times. I immediately scanned at bootup with avast --- no viruses , no trojans -------- but still it freezes from time to time.
It appears that the allowed " personal copy " that i was given because of emergency , is corrupted.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It is possible that your XP disk is corrupted but it is also very possible that you have a hardware problem. By the way, the note about a Simple Communication Device indicates that you have a dial-up modem installed but XP couldn't find a driver for it. If you don't use the modem anymore you can remove it from the computer. If you do, identify the make by using Everest home edition (mentioned in the next paragraph) and search for a driver either in the manufacturer's site or at DriverGuide.com (requires free registration) Please take the following steps:

Enter BIos and in "Computer Health" or something of this nature look for cpu, motherboard and HD temperatures. Also report voltages which should show on the same screen. If you cannot do this through BIOS download, install and run Everest home edition (free), enter Computer > Sensor and look for the required data.

Identify your HD, enter the manufacturer's site and download a diagnostic tool. Run a full or burning test. This will tell us what the HD condition is.

Download from Microsoft it's memory test utility. You have to make a bootable cd or floppy. Run it for at least half an hour and see if it reports any errors. This will test your ram.

Unplug the computer from the wall socket, open the side cover and carefully remove the round battery which keeps BIOS variables set by the user. Keep it out for about 20 minutes. You can use the 20 minutes to make sure that all connections within the computer are well secured and there is no dust buildup, especiall between the cpu fan and the top of the heatsink. Reinstall the battery and restart the computer. Use this opportunity to make sure that all fans spin freely. You will probably get a checksome error which will disappear after you set time and date.

Please report results.