Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstalling windows me..

• Please log in to reply

PinCushion

PinCushion

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Alright I wanted to wipe the harddrive of one of my old computers that has windows me on it. The problem is that it wasn't installed with the option of uninstalling the os and I don't have the cd any more. Is there any way i can get windows me off of it either by some other way or by getting another cd and trying to instal this feature onto it.

Advertisements

greatmightypoo

greatmightypoo

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Do you want to format the harddrive and erase EVERYTHING, or just install another operating system like XP on it?

PinCushion

PinCushion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yeah I want to erase everything on the hard drive basically

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Which Operating System to you plan to put back onto it? And what CD do you have to do that: a restore CD, a windows OS upgrade CD, or a full windows CD?

PinCushion

PinCushion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I plan to put 98 se back on it but it is upgrade disk and i have a full version of 95 disk if that helps..

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Definately.

Put the Win95 CD in and see if it allows you to format before installing. After installing Win95, use the Win98 upgrade.

If it doesn't have an option to format, but allows you to continue, then do it. If you can't continue, you'll have to make a Windows 98 boot disk so you can format.

PinCushion

PinCushion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Alright thanks, ill try that and see if it works

PinCushion

PinCushion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Alright I tried doing what you told me and i got an error saying "This program is incompatible with this version of windows." and i get the option of cancel or details. In details it says basically things about if im trying to go from 98 to 95 thats it. I also tried just using the 98 upgrade disk right away and I got the same error message but in the details box it said if I was trying to switch to 98 I would have to uninstall windows me first...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use Boot and Nuke to wipe the drive then you should be able to start with the 98 upgrade disc and insert the 95 disc when it asks for the qualifying media

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

PinCushion

PinCushion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Alright ill try that

Advertisements

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
I alway think it is hard to keep, never know it is so hard to wipe out a HD. Can we just make a bootable floppy and boot it up in dos and FDISK,FORMAT.
Or plug the old HD into another machine then format?

PinCushion

PinCushion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Alright I used Boot and Nuke and it sucessfully removed windows me from the hard drive. Only thing is know when it comes up with the black screen saying no operating system found I insert one of the windows cds and hit enter and it just reappears with the no operating system found again. I've never installed a windows platform from this before so any help would be appreciated im also not sure if it could be the windows disks i have..

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up, change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 to save change, open the CD ROM drawer and put the windows CD in, type Y to confirm and press enter, look for the option to boot from the hard drive or the CD ROM, you need the CD ROM, option 2 and it will start set up

Try it with the 98 upgrade disc first, during set up it will reboot and give the same options, you do not need to press anything here, just wait until it carries on with set up

PinCushion

PinCushion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I tried hitting the delete key on start up but it didn't seem to work to enable me to be able to change anything. It just went to the no operating system found message again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you keep tapping not press once

Try tapping F2