Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I install RAID 0 without formatting 1 drive

• Please log in to reply

Rustin

Rustin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I want to install RAID 0 in my computer. I have an 80 gig hard drive that is just about full and I bought a second 80 gig drive and wanted to install a RAID 0 but didn't want to reformat the original drive if not necessary.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
To build a RAID 0 array you need to initialise and create the array.

This will erase the data on both drives, so if you want to use your current drive and build an array on that it WILL get wiped.

Easiest thing to do: Put the new drive in as a normal IDE drive. You'll get as much performance out of it as you would by putting it on a RAID. The speed increase of RAIDing it is insignificant to the point of whether it's worth the effort.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
If you are home user then none of those raid are for you. With all the speeds of those drives come with you would not even see the differece in performance but cost and maintenance in many ways you look at. bad choice.