Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows startup problems!

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It seems you used the recovery console not the repair option which would have asked for the product key

You need to get this before running the repair or you will end up having to re-install when you do have the product key

Advertisements

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
i used the normal repair function as told to on the tutorial link you gave me. it still gave me the same black screen as before! what else is there?!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
These are variations on the theme

Method 1: Reinstall Windows XP by using Windows XP
To reinstall Windows XP by using Windows XP, follow these steps: 1. Start your computer.
2. Insert the Windows XP CD in your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
3. On the Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP page, click Install Windows XP.
4. On the Welcome to Windows Setup page, click Upgrade (Recommended) in the Installation Type box (if it is not already selected), and then click Next.
5. On the License Agreement page, click I accept this agreement, and then click Next.
6. On the Your Product Key page, type the 25-character product key in the Product key boxes, and then click Next.
7. On the Get Updated Setup Files page, select the option that you want, and then click Next.
8. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to reinstall Windows XP.

Method 2: Reinstall Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD
To reinstall Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD, follow these steps: 1. Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
2. When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message appears on the screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

Note Your computer must be configured to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. For more information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, see your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer.
3. You receive the following message on the Welcome to Setup screen that appears:
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
Press ENTER to set up Windows XP.
4. On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
5. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
6. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to reinstall Windows XP. After you repair Windows XP, you may have to reactivate your copy of Windows XP.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
the thing is that will remove all of his data wont it? now i have his hard drive in my computer. is there any way i can restore windows over my computer or utilize windows backup on his hard drive only? I can access all of his data.

Edited by 11010110, 10 March 2006 - 10:43 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The best thing IMO is to back up his data using your PC, put the drive back in his PC, use boot and nuke to format the drive then install windows

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Boot and nuke will take an hour per 25GB of drive size but will clear the drive better than an XP format, although use the default NTFS format, not quick when you install XP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
the thing is he doesnt have an xp cd. im using mine. so it wont allow him to update because microsoft has a safeguard against it sadly... i wish there was a way to completely change out windows without losing any program installs or data. u sure there aint nothing else? Like isnt there any way for me to system restore his data on my computer?

Edited by 11010110, 10 March 2006 - 11:01 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you use a same version XP CD as the product key for the PC you can install like that, after backing up the data with your PC

My concern is that after running a repair it didn't improve anything, which leans towards the drive's inability to load files, hence my preference for using boot and nuke to comprehensively wipe the drive

Put the drive back in his PC before using boot and nuke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
well i had an old 4gig hdd that i didnt use so i put windows on that and ran his old hdd as a slave to the 4gig. but now its tellin me i have to activate windows within 30 days. any way to get around that?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you contact your local Microsoft office they will replace the product key

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What happens when you try to activate it

Advertisements

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
it asks for the key. the computer has no internet acess because it normaly has dialup so it has no ethernet port. i run cable so he cant use my internet. would ther key be on my computer or would that program you sent me the link to get a working colde off or mine?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click activate you can do it on the phone, it doesn't need an internet connection

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
yea but there is another instance of that windows running on my computer. so wouldnt they flag me for it?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you cannot find the product key, Microsoft will replace it

Did you install with your disc and his product key

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
i put in the code on the side of his comp and now its askin me for another key that i have to call microsoft for. you think i could still call this late?