Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Videocard Questions.

• Please log in to reply

FourthMarineDiv

FourthMarineDiv

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I have a Dell Demension 3100 with 512MB of RAM and a 2.80 GHZ processor. My CPU wattage is around 250. I believe 230 to be exact. Is it possible to run this videocard on this system without a hitch?

http://www.3dfuzion....500_pci_256.asp

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Should be allright, i assume you mean PSU wattage, its a little low borderline but you may get away with it. Another 512Mb of ram would be advisable as well games need at least at least a gig nowadays to maximise the peroformnace,

FourthMarineDiv

FourthMarineDiv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Should be allright, i assume you mean PSU wattage, its a little low borderline but you may get away with it. Another 512Mb of ram would be advisable as well games need at least at least a gig nowadays to maximise the peroformnace,

Yes the PSU Wattage, and what would be the dangers of it should I not get away with it?

((I'll be getting and 512 no prob. =) ))

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The problems could be as little glitchy gfx performance to the whole thing blowing. but dell dont always use standard PSUs and mobo so getting a new psu might be difficult.

FourthMarineDiv

FourthMarineDiv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

The problems could be as little glitchy gfx performance to the whole thing blowing. but dell dont always use standard PSUs and mobo so getting a new psu might be difficult.

What would be your opinion of the situation? Do it or just go ahead and buy a new PSU? ((Short of changing the mobo. ))

Edited by FourthMarineDiv, 12 March 2006 - 07:15 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you would have to check if the PSU and mobo now are compliant with atx standard. http://www.jscustomp...m/power_supply/ try this and hope you stay below 250.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Try what warriorscot said and if its under the wattage rating you sould be fine.

Just install the video card and memory and see if you notice any problem, if you indeed do just get a new powersupply.

FourthMarineDiv

FourthMarineDiv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thank you gentlemen I will do just that. =)

((You guys are more of a bunch of lifesavers than you'll ever know. ))