Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I HAVE SERIOUS DRIVER PROBLEMS

• Please log in to reply

justkause

justkause

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I just got a used computer wiped clean i installed windows 2000. The hardware on the machine is not recognized. I tried to install my cable modem so i can get online but it says theres no network adapter. I ran everest home to find out what network adapter i had (intel 82544XT pro/1000 MT desktop adapter). I burnt the drivers to cd tried to install it and it said my windows needed updated service packs. So, i can't get online with this computer to update the service packs required to install my network adapters drivers. Therfore i can't get online to install any drivers for the rest of my hardware. I have a list of any hardware devices you may need. If you understand this please help!!!!!

Edited by justkause, 10 March 2006 - 08:06 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi justkause!

No need to panic, this problem is easily solvable, so just take a deep breath and lets do this step by step. Since you obviously are able to burn cd's, lets have you burn service pack 4 for windows 2000 and then install it on the other machine. You can download SP4 HERE. Once it's downloaded, burn it to a cd and then install it on the other computer. Once that is finished, you will need to reboot. Once you have rebooted, try installing the driver for your network adapter again. Once the network adapter is installed, make sure you go to Windows Update and get all the updates, clicking CUSTOM and NOT EXPRESS. Make sure when it lists the updates that you can use that you check the HARDWARE, OPTIONAL list and check and see if there are any drivers listed there that you need. If there are, then download those to make your life easier on trying to find the right drivers for your devices. Once you have gotten all the updates from windows update, post back here and we will continue with any other drivers that are needed.

Fenor

Fenor

justkause

justkause

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I tried all of that. It shows all the hardware drivers working properly. When i try to install the high speed cable modem software it runs a system test and shows no network adapter. I'm stuck i've tried all the things i thought would work. HELP!!!

If on this computer it says designed for XP and i tried installing windows 2000 could that be a problem? The drive was wiped clean so i figured i could just install 2000 on it but it appears i'm wrong.

Edited by justkause, 11 March 2006 - 02:09 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
When you go into the DEVICE MANAGER, are there any items listed that have yellow exclamation/question marks next to them? You can go to the DEVICE MANAGER by going to START-->RUN and typing in devmgmt.msc and clicking OK.

Fefnor

justkause

justkause

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'm online now but i do have some !!!! and ??? in device manager.

Display adapters
! Accel Graphics AccelSTAR II

? Other devices
?! Multimedia Audio Controller
?! Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

thats what it looks like in device manager

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Is your computer a prebuilt computer that you purchased from a company like Dell or Gateway or HP? If so, please give the make and model of it. An example of this would be Dell Optiplex GX260.

DO THE FOLLOWING ONLY IF YOU BUILT THE COMPUTER YOURSELF!

Right-click MY COMPUTER, click on PROPERTIES, in the new window that appears, click on the HARDWARE tab and then click the DEVICE MANAGER button. Are there any items listed that have yellow exclamation/question marks next to them? If there are, please list them in your reply.

Next, download install and run Everest Home Edition, which you can download using the link in my signature. Once you have it running, click on REPORT and the Report Wizard should run. When you come to the REPORT PROFILES page of the wizard, make sure you have radio button next to System Summary Only selected. Then click NEXT, you can leave HTML selected and click FINISH. The report will then be generated and a new window will appear. In this new window that appears, click SAVE TO FILE and save the report as REPORT.HTM somewhere on your computer where you will remember its location. Please attach this file to your reply.

Fenor

justkause

justkause

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Its a dell optiplex GX260 good guess

Attached Files

Edited by justkause, 12 March 2006 - 11:47 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You can find all the drivers for your computer HERE.

Fenor