Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CAN YOU HELP ME RUN MY VIDEO CARD PROPERLY?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
My friend gave me a video card to put in my pc. I currently have this pc:

HP Vectra VL400
P3
800MHZ
Win XP Home W/Service Pack 2
192MB RAM
20GB

(I am upgrading to 512mb ram and an 80GB hard drive in a week or so).

Anyways, the video card acts kinda funny... when i start up the pc it makes the screen all scrambled. i have to let it load once than restart to have the screen diplay properly, or go into the properties and change it to the max setting and reboot so it unscrambles. it's a "NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX/MX 400" its memory size is 64MB. is there something I should do to make it work properly? He did'nt give me a cdrom installation disc or or floppy to install anything for it.

It actually lets me play 64 bit games in 3d with no problem, when i tested it (after restarting like i said above). But like i told you the screen comes all blurry ans scrambled when i start up. I have to restart after and than it shows up clearly. It seems to like resest it's display settings on its own. lol. And if I leave the pc on standby it makes the screen smaller or resets it to a different setting when I come back on from standby. lol. i'm assuming i need some sort of software or what do you call them drivers?

I want this thing to work proper without the hassle. I know it works because I can see the screen right now. and it makes everything look much clearer. Though when it resets the diplay settings like I said before it will make web pages look slow when I scroll or run an application window on my screen and move it around. But when I boot up for the first time and its all scramebled and than restart it looks and runs fine without probs I guess. But than it plays the display properties limbo as I said when I turn off my pc, standby. So I know its a good working video card. I just can't seem to set it so it works properly.

Like I'll go to properties on the desktop and change it to something like "1280 x 1024 on 32 bit color". And it'll run fine after the first boot and restart, than if i leave the pc on standby and come back the resolution will show up as like 1000 x something on 16 bit or whatever. And than i can't play the games when it does that. Do I need some sort of drivers or something?? It's also making my pc verify if one of my hard drive's working properly when I boot sometimes or come off standby and does a check. The check always shows up successfull with no errors. It never did that before I installed this video card.

I'm assuming I need drivers no or something? I have this program called "everest" and it tells you your system details. It says a suggestion on the bios details (I dunno if this has anything to do with the vid card). It says "system bios is more than two years old update if neccesary" ,and it says "video bios is more than 2 years old update is neccesary". On the details for my video card it has a link for product information and a link for driver download. Those links in everest for my device description for my vid card are:
(Please go to them and let me know if there is anything I need from there.

Product Information http://www.nvidia.co...p?PAGE=products

Driver Download http://www.nvidia.co...ers/drivers.asp

WHAT DO I DO TO MAKE IT WORK TO THE FULL POTENTIAL AND TO RUN PROPER?

I though win xp installs any vid card or sound card automatically and makes them work by itself.
I dunno much about adding hardware so sorry. Oh here are a couple of names that everest gives me for my vid card:

Device Description
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation)

or

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation) (64 MB)

or

3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

I dunno if that helps. I installed a 56k modem into this pc a while back and windows installed it by itself and it worked and identified it. I never had probs when I did that. I dunno what the difference is with a vid card installation.

Please help me. I'm giving this pc to my little brother for graduation out of a technical high school. It's my gift to him. I don't have much money, but I want him to be as smart as all of you one day and be able to make a decent living doing stuff with computers. I have a good knowledge with pcs, so if you tell me what to do I will do it. Lay it on me!!!!

By the way I would like to take the time to thank each and everyone of you whom has helped me in the past and whomever is reading this and helping me I appreciate your time and care. May you get good deeds in return. Thank you all for your dedication and time.

Advertisements

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Oh and just to let you know I will be checkin this frequently. Here is some more info if you need it.

If you do reply be sure to give me the correct information.
I need detailed instructions. As I've never put in an AGP vid card in my system before. I dunno what to do. I looked at several other posts releated to my topic and everyone else has different issues. But what I do notice is that most people say something about installing or fixing bios, netwframework, drivers, etc. I need all info to get my vid card running properly please. It's an old card I guess... so I hope you guys will already know what to do with my model make.

Oh and just so you know my pc has intergrated graphics. (when the AGP vid card is'nt in). I dunno if that helps too.

Please gimmie detailed instructions.

THANX A MILLION!!!

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
If you want to see my AGP card and look at it or look at the model numbers on the stickers or details here they are two pics of it:

Front:
Posted Image

Back:
Posted Image

I wish I could get this thing to work. Please help. I've been on your site checkin for a day. lol. Thank you to whomever helps. I know this is probably an old card to you guys, but it will be of much use for us.

Edited by superstar, 11 March 2006 - 11:37 AM.