Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Windows Shut Down

• Please log in to reply

grandpa

grandpa

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi

My computer has a very strange problem.

When I shut down all goes well until it closes to the screen Windows is shutting down, at this stage a message appears saying " Updates are being installed 1 of 1. then after a few seconds another message appwears " "Do not turn of or unplug your computer, It will turn of automatically" This message just repeats itself.
Then everything just hangs.

I have run Ewido, Spybot, AdAware just to see if there was anything, but all appears to be clean.

This problem doesn't appear at every shut down, it seems to just please itself when it does this. The only way to turn the computer of is to hit "the Power Button"

Anyone any solutions.

Many thanks

Grandpa

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then control panel then security center, under manage settings for, click automatic updates, put the dot in notify me but don't automaticalyy download or install them, click apply

[attachment=7126:attachment]

Go to Microsoft Update to check for outstanding ones

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

grandpa

grandpa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi Keith,

Thanks for that.
Its interesting that I haven't had this strange thing happen in the past. Let's see how it goes.

Cheers

Grandpa

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It should not happen now because the next lot are due Tuesday, so it has had three weeks to download them

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Please note that there is one rather large update that installs on shutdown. When you go to shutdown the computer, is there a "shield" partially covering the shutdown button? If so, just let it (actually them, there's like 30 in this install) install...the computer will shut itself off when it finishes.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 11 March 2006 - 09:38 AM.

grandpa

grandpa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi guys

I changed my setting under windows update to download and install ( for now) Then closed down the computer. Got the message about the update. I must be a humungus install, as it was still trying to install (or so it said) 45 mins later. Would this be correct. We have 512Ram 2.1GHZ.
Look forward to any help or advice on this. It must be an absolute gigantic install...

Many thanks

Grandpa

Thers no sheild partially covering the shutdown button. Nothing anywhere that would suggest an update. That I can see.

Edited by grandpa, 11 March 2006 - 03:36 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup...it's a big one. Had one machine take a little better than an hour.

If the installation had begun at one time, it may have gotten far enough to remove the little shield...let it run a bit. Is the HDD light flashing or on steadily?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 11 March 2006 - 03:41 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's why I said about going to Microsoft Update to clear any outstanding ones after changing the setting to notify

grandpa

grandpa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi

I did go to do maual update, but it wouldnt install "Windows genuine advantage" something like that although I do have legit OS. The HDD ligh seems to be out.

Cheers

Grandpa.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try clicking validate now

http://www.microsoft...hyValidate.aspx

That could be why the updates are hanging

Advertisements

grandpa

grandpa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi Keith,

Thanks for that. I got the message something like. " Thank you for validating etc" so hope all will be OK.

Will try logging of again, and see what happens.

Many thanks

Grandpa

grandpa

grandpa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi

I just tried to install the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) however it apparently download but won't install for some reason, even though I have validated. Any thoughts.

Cheers

Grandpa

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you have a go with installing it from here, you need winzip or similar

http://www.wpiw.net/...don_1.5.512.CAB

grandpa

grandpa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi Keith

Thanks for that.

What Ive also done is sfc /scannow etc. to straighten up any files that may have been corrupt.

Cheers

Grandpa

grandpa

grandpa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi Keith,

Thanks for that. Im real dumb, where do I extract the file to.

Many thanks Grandpa