Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

My dvd/rw disappeared(pc doesnt recognise it) after installing Daemon

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Here's the problem: Just recently I installed the latest version of Daemon Tools. It asked a question about the pc "not being kernal debugger compatible, proceed with installation?yes/no", so I clicked "yes", then it proceeds to reset to get the effects to take place.

After reset, I realise that ,my actual DVD/RW is not recognised( no icon, not the virtual drive). I even tried putting in a DVD and CD and it didn't work.
So I tried uninstalling Daemon tools and restarting it, didn't work.
Tried System Restore, didn't work.

Anyone got suggestions as to getting back my DVD/RW? Thanks in advance.

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi balaji...Welcome to g2g!

Daemon Tools (and Alcohol) uses a rootkit to achieve it's drive emulation feature in order to circumvent copyright protection imbedded in the cd/dvd you are copying. In order to do this, it hides or "cloaks" registry values that "hooks" the devices used to play or copy said material. There is ongoing debate as to the legality of this practice, but to me, a rootkit is a rootkit...no difference between a good one and a bad one. For a little more information on this, see This Article.

Post in Malware from the link I've provided below and put "Possible RootKit" infection in the title of your post...they are very interested in these infections right now and that will attract their attention.

Do Not use RootKit removal tools without the supervision of someone who is experienced with them...they can cause a lot of problems if not used properly.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here...then post a HiJackThis log in THAT Forum as I described above. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.