Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Jerky DVD playback

• Please log in to reply

ivorproblem

ivorproblem

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have just installed a dvd drive into my old PIII 533hz computer (Windows Me OS). When I tried to play a dvd, an error message came up saying no decoders installed. I went on t'internet and downloaded Cliprex and VideoLan. The dvd player now plays, but is pretty jerky and unwatchable. I have lowered the screen resolution (does nothing) and closed all background applications (again, no change). VideoLan audio is also very hissy. Any ideas on how to fix this? Or any good free decoders/players out there?

Advertisements

paddyt

paddyt

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi,

I would have a look and see if you got a software DVD player on the drivers disk with your graphics card (or even with your dvd drive). If you haven't, I use powerdvd and it works well for me.

Paddy

ivorproblem

ivorproblem

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Cheers for the input, unfortunately I took the dvd drive out of an old IBM computer and have no software drivers with it...

I also have no software for the graphics card anymore (doh!). I'm a bit loathe to spend any money on software if it might be the hardware thats the problem....