Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with AnyDVD

• Please log in to reply

elr0314

elr0314

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have been using AnyDVD for about a year on a few computers and have never had this problem. What happens is that when I insert a disc into any of the drives... CD, DVD, Data CD, the screen just freezes and I lose all controls. The mouse stops working, the keyboard stops working... etc. I then have to turn the PC off and turn it back on. IF I do not insert a disc or if I disable AnyDVD, the PC performs perfectly. I dont know it this was caused by something I downloaded or if it may have been a file that I deleted from the PC that is making it lock up like that. It's driving me crazy and I do not know where to start to look for any possible solutions.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Remove Anydvd from your system then.

elr0314

elr0314

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Gee! Thanks! You're a genius... thats what I'm trying to avoid. unless you have an alternative to AnyDVD. But really thanks for your insight on this issue.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Re-install anydvd

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Isnt anyDVD illegal.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That did come under consideration, however, one of its uses is DVD Copying which could mean a data DVD, and playing CD's apparently

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hmm i suppose but data DVDs and CDs dont have copy protection and region codes or am i missing some features they probably added more since i last looked at the software.

elr0314

elr0314

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I obviously have some sort of conflict here and I dont know what the heck it may be. Sure, if I remove Anydvd, it will stop the problem. If no other solution exists I guess I have no other choice but to simply remove the program. By the way, thank you keith for not laying down judgement.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have a problem with any software, re-installing and or checking for updates is usually the first thing

This is the copyright position in most of Europe which means you can copy a DVD if you do not remove any copy protection features to do it, not particularly helpful if they only sell discs which are copy protected

1) Can I lawfully make a copy for my personal use of a film on DVD or music on a CD, which I lawfully acquired?

Yes, you are allowed to do so unless the DVD or the CD is protected by a measure which makes it impossible to copy unless the measure is circumvented, which is the case as regards e.g. copy-protected CDs.

However, if you have borrowed or leased the DVD/CD from others, including from libraries or a video store, it is illegal to make a copy of it. Nor is it legal to copy a copy of a CD/DVD if you have got the copy from others.

2) Is it allowed to circumvent a copy-protection mechanism in order to make a copy for my personal use of a film on a DVD or of music on a CD?

No, it is illegal to circumvent the copy-protection mechanism, although it is legal to make a copy for your personal use. If a DVD or CD is copy-protected you are in other words excluded from legally making a copy for personal use.

And for their next trick

Ripping music from CDs and transferring it to an iPod does not constitute fair use, according to a document filed by the major record companies.
In a filing to the US Copyright Office, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) attempts to undo a statement it made in court during the recent successful prosecution of the Grokster p2p company.

In court RIAA lawyer Don Verrilli said: 'The record companies have said, for some time now, and it's been on their website for some time now, that it's perfectly lawful to take a CD that you've purchased, upload it onto your computer, put it onto your iPod.'

However in the Copyright Office filing the RIAA takes a contrary view.

'Nor does the fact that permission to make a copy in particular circumstances is often or even routinely granted, necessarily establish that the copying is a fair use when the copyright owner withholds that authorization,' it argues. 'In this regard, the statement attributed to counsel for copyright owners in the MGM v. Grokster case is simply a statement about authorisation, not about fair use.'

In other words, explained Fred von Lohmann, senior staff attorney for the EFF, a leading digital rights campaign organisation, if you want to copy a CD to your iPod, get permission first.

'If I understand what the RIAA is saying, "perfectly lawful" means "lawful until we change our mind", he
wrote in the EFF blog. 'So your ability to continue to make copies of your own CDs on your own iPod is entirely a matter of their sufferance. What about all the indie label CDs? Do you have to ask each of them for permission before ripping your CDs? And what about all the major label artists who control their own copyrights? Do we all need to ask them, as well?'

The RIAA filing will help to determine what are considered 'non-infringing' activities under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). The law requires the US Copyright Office to set exemptions to the DMCA's stipulation that makes it illegal to circumvent digital rights management (DRM) anti-copying technologies.

In addition to attempting to have CD copying to iPods outlawed, the RIAA also believes that making a back-up is outside the realms of fair usage.

'Similarly, creating a back-up copy of a music CD is not a non-infringing use,' it stated, adding that, 'the fact remains that there is no general exception to allow back-up copying and thus no justification for allowing circumvention of access controls for this purpose.'

The EFF has declined to submit evidence this year, having done so in the previous two, because it believes 'the rulemaking process is simply too broken' and that consumers are simply being ignored.

'Where consumers are concerned, the Copyright Office discounts their concerns as "mere inconveniences", Lohmann explained. 'Copy-protected CDs are no problem because you can play them on CD players, even if they won't work in your computer. Where the copyright industries are concerned, in contrast, the Copyright Office presumes that DRM is the only thing that stands between them and financial ruin.'

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What exactly are you trying to use the software for, if its to get something that should work to work then we can either fix it or reccomend something else, but if we know what you need it to do we can either reccomend something else that should work or at least determine if anydvd isnt the problem and there is another one or tell you definitivley wether we can help or not.

The copyright laws are an utter farce in Europe and the US they just go with whoever has the money and the user at the end just has to live with inferior services and hard to use prodcuts because record companiy executives want two bentleys instead of 1. At least the EU is initself a joke and its powers are essentially imaginery but in the US you have to be careful with what you copy and have even for personal use.

Edited by warriorscot, 13 March 2006 - 10:02 AM.