Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSI KT4 Ultra with an Athlon XP 1800+

• Please log in to reply

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hi.

I have had this rig for a long while and recently decided to turn it into a media center, as its spare.

I was playing with the settings in the bios, and I remeber changing the clock speed of something, though I cannot remember what (I did this a few months ago and decided I really should get it fixed). Now, after clocking this thing in the bios, I have nothing display when I turn on the computer, I have turned the computer off, and tried rearranging ram, and changing the ram for other sticks. I need to know a way I could possibly reset all the settings in the bios to a fail-safe or a default without having anything displayed on my monitor. Maybe a switch I do not know of?

Edited by SuperSam, 11 March 2006 - 08:04 AM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You should be able to restore the bios to factory defaults. This is usually done by a jumper on the motherboard or by removing the cmos battery. Refer to your motherboard manual. If you don't have a manual for this, go to the manufacturer's web page and look for one http://www.msicomput...TechSupport.asp

SuperSam

SuperSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I've lost the manual, and cant seem to download one either :\.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
To reset the computer's BIOS, please do the following:
  • Turn off your computer
  • Remove the power cord from the back of your computer
  • Open the side panel
  • Locate the CMOS battery (it's shiny stainless steel about the size of a nickel) and remove it
  • Wait at LEAST five minutes
  • Put the CMOS battery back in
  • Re-attach the side panel
  • Re-attach the power cord to the back of the computer
  • Power on your computer
You will probably get a CMOS checksum error first time booting after doing this. Don't worry this is NORMAL. It only means that you need to set the date & time on your computer again. It should say to press one of the Function keys or the DEL key to enter SETUP. Do so and reset the correct date & time. Make sure you SAVE CHANGES before you exit setup.

Fenor

SuperSam

SuperSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
No luck Fenor.

Anything else I could do?

SuperSam

SuperSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Thanks guys, I ended up sorting it by using the "clear cmos" jumper. I found the manual.

Thanks again, all sorted. Let you guys know (if you want to know) if I get this media center set up.