Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Isass.exe System Error

• Please log in to reply

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
In booting my HP laptop, with Windows XP, SP2, I received the following error message: Isass.exe--System Error. Security Accounts Manager initializatioin failed because: The handle is invalid. Error status: 0x0000008." It suggests booting in Safe Mode, which I tried repeatedly, but receive the same message. I did try the safe mode option of choosing the last configuration which worked properly. I got a message that one of the files from the system registry had to be recovered, which it said was successful. Problem and message remain. I am unable to boot in Safe Mode or regular mode. The only disks I have which came with the PC are HP QuickRestore and Operating System CD. FYI, I have AVG free edition (auto update), and use Cleanup, Spybot, Spywareblaster, Ad-aware, and keep them updated weekly and run them weekly. I also use a wireless router with a built-in firewall. I am expecting to need to do a full system restore. However, on other websites I have read that sometimes that does not solve the problem. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by JCastaldi, 11 March 2006 - 10:57 AM.

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi JCastaldi,

I'm curious to know why you posted this in the Malware forums?
Do you suspect a virus to be the cause?

Also you wrote: Isass.exe
Is that correct or could it have been lsass.exe ?

I would suggest you follow this procedure:
http://www.geekstogo...p?showtopic=138
to get XP up and running again.

After that we can see if anything needs to be cleaned out.

Regards,

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Thanks for your quick response. On other forums, some have described this problem related to the Sasser worm/virus. However, I posted this not realizing what forum I was posting on--so I claim "mistake." You are right--now that I look at the message, it is lower case "l" not upper case "I".

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
In that case I'd certainly suggest you follow the procedure to Repair the XP install.

Regards,

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Install does not work. As soon as the process reaches "Installing Windows" I get the same error message, etc.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Did you install or uninstall any new drivers before this started happening?
Or do you know of any reason why an important system file could have been removed? (Maybe by Antivirus or other scanner)

Regards,

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
My answer to your 2 question is No and no clue. Also, I do not know the administrator password for this computer, and thus cannot get into recovery console (which I have tried).

Edited by JCastaldi, 11 March 2006 - 12:43 PM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
If you have not set a password then it will be blank (just hit Enter)

I think it's better if I hand you over to the experts on your OS.
They are much better at solving this kind of problems then I am.

Regards,

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Thanks for trying.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello JCastaldi...

lsass.exe rerrors can be difficult to resolve without at least doing an in-place upgrade (Repair). We need to get you to a command prompt. Start your machine and tap the F8 key during the boot sequence to get to the Safe Mode options screen. Select the option "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" and press "Enter".

Once at command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and press "Enter". This will start the System Restore feature. Choose a date before the problem began and Restore to that date. This may or may not resolve the problem. If not, move to the next instructions...

At the command prompt, type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, (If the machine starts) click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r (Again...note the space), and click "Ok". (If the machine still won't start, type the chkdsk /r command at command prompt and press "Enter"). Reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

Let me know if you are able to complete these procedures.

wannabe1

Advertisements

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
First, I tried booting as you suggested but I was unable to do so, as the computer took me back to Windows Setup process I had started with the Operating System CD, which is where it hung up into a cycle where it kept repeating the lsass.exe message when I was supposed to be at the Installing Windows point. Then, in order to get out of that cycle, I canceled the Windows Setup which looks like now that caused another problem. I now get 2 messages. (1) same lsass.exe error message and (2) "Windows XP Setup--Windows cannot run under Safemode. Setup will restart now." (and then has the OK button) Also, when I put the OS CD back in, I get the same lsass.exe message, and "Insert Disk--Please insert the CD labeled Windows XP Home Edition Serice Pack 1 into your CD-ROM drive and then click OK." All I have is the SP2 disk, but I await your instructions before I do anything else.

Edited by JCastaldi, 11 March 2006 - 02:57 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If I understand correctly, you have started a repair installation that did not complete...correct?

If this is the case, let setup continue and see if it will complete with the disk you have. If this is not the disk that came with your machine, be sure to use the product key from your machine if asked for the key. Don't use the one for the disk unless it is the disk for your machine.

Should the repair fail again, try to access Recovery Console again. If you are able to enter the Recovery Console, let me know...either way.

Did I mention this can be a tough one to resolve? :tazz:

wannabe1

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Somehow I got into F8 list of options, hit Safemode with Command Prompt, and got 2 messages: (1) same lsass.exe message (2) "Windows XP Setup cannot run under Safemode. Setup will restart now." (then gives me an ok button to click) which when I click it takes me back to "setup is restarting" then I get (1) lsass.exe message (2) "insert the SP1 disk", both on top of another frame which is the Windows XP installation wizard (?) which shows the re-installation hung up at "Installing Windows." Hopefully, I made this clear. Should I try installing the SP2 disk at this prompt now (since I do not have SP1 disk)?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, but use your product key if you are asked for one.

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
I do not understand "product key" and where to find it.--Never mind I found it on the back of the notebook. I will proceed and let you know.

Edited by JCastaldi, 11 March 2006 - 03:42 PM.