Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SYSTEM CONSTANTLY CRASHING c000021a on XP PRO!

• Please log in to reply

JoNNiE - D

JoNNiE - D

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Okay Pholks

I have a Sony 215z laptop bout 3 months old, It came with XP Home Edition. I left it runin for a lil while came back and there was a blue FATAL ERROR c000021a Screen. Over the next few weeks it would constantly Crash,, The system would also restart its self alot, At this time i did not have any anti Virus protection but when i donloaded and updated norton (NIS 2006) it did not detect any virus's after performing a full scan..

I done a bit of readin and began to belive that It could veryy well be a Software Error, That mabey i had not got somthin installed properly or Visa versa. My next Decission Was to update to XP (PRO) (SP2).. When i installed it straight away i got all the Windows updates and fully installed Norton Internet Security 2006. Thankfully most of my music files and data was still stored on the D: drive! so i fully scanned the D drive just to make sure there was no Virus on it witch there wasint. (WELL NONE DETECED BY NORTON ANYWAYS).

For the next few days my system was runin perfectly with new new XP PRO OS! But then all of a sudden my system restarted its self again. and again, adventually i got the blue screen {FATAL ERROR c000021a} I was absolutely FREAKED that i still had this blue error screen after all the reformating and updateing. I done abit more Readin and found out I could possibly have a Dodgey stick of RAM and that it could be a hardware problem, after fully scanin my system again for viruss, Norton did not detect anywthing and i was convinced this was the case. Untill last night i was down at a friends house.

My friend has a wireless network So when i brought my laptop down it Automatically connected to his wireless network! I still had the blue screen error at this time and was conviced that it was a hardware problem and was ready to send it of for rapair the next day! .. But then his laptop shut down with the same blue screen... He now has the same problem as me system constanly restarting and Crashing The reason that i think its a VIRUS or some type of worm is because First of all before the system shuts down The task bar disapears aswell as the deskop icons and a Error Box with a Message displayin 00:02 seconds shut down NT/Autorised.

The Second reason bein that its spreaded to my friends laptop and hes havin the same problem... So at this moment im thinkin its some Kind of Boot Virus that starts up with the system and thats also UNDECTABLE by norton or windows Security. Ive truly GOOGLED my heart out on trying to find a solution but Can't find one.. Can anyone Help me? Surely there must be expierenced people that have had this problem Before if so Give us a shout Back..
Cheers
JoNNiE D :tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy JoNNiE - D...

You say you have Norton on your machine, do you also have "Go Back" installed? If yes, disable it and then uninstall it. See if the BSOD doesn't stop.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I guess I should probably include a few instructions for doing that...sorry... :tazz:

NOTE: You cannot uninstall GoBack in Safe mode.

Restart your computer. During the startup process, press SPACE to access GoBack's menu options. When prompted, enter the option for Disable GoBack, and then allow the computer to complete the startup process.

Click Start, and then click Control Panel. In Control Panel, double-click Add or Remove Programs. In the list of installed programs, click GoBack, and then click Remove. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstall process.

wannabe1

JoNNiE - D

JoNNiE - D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

wannabe1

When i start up the system while pressin space it loads up menu with just one option on it and that 'Profile1' So after that i just clicked enter and loaded the OS.. When I Went into Control Pannel theres actually no 'Goback' programe in the Add or REmove Programs section..?? So I'm persumeing i dont have this programe,?

JoNNIE

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...Plan B...

Open "Control Panel" and then open "Add or Remove Probrams". Check the check box to "Show Updates", then scroll down the list to the updates. Is KB890859 installed? If so, uninstall it and reboot.

Does this resolve the Blue Screen error?

wannabe1

JoNNiE - D

JoNNiE - D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Does this resolve the Blue Screen error?

wannabe1

Nope, I don't have that file installed? It would seem like a Virus or a Worm of some type the fact that its spread to my friends laptop or mabey its just a quinsidence that hes havin the same problem as me?? hmm :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Mornin' JoNNiE - D...

Please download, install, and run WinAudit. Save the audit as either a HTML or Excel file and attach it to a PM to me.

Download, install, and run HiJackThis. Save a log and attach it to your next reply.

There are a lot of things that can cause this error...let's see if we can narrow it down a bit so we're not shooting blindly in the dark.

wannabe1

Mikail

Mikail

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi,
Try finding a copy of Kaspersky anti virus....the way your story goes it might be a worm of some sort...
Also try cheecking your bios...see if the video cache and shadowing is enabled if so disable it..

Just a thought.. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's a good idea, too, (thanks, Mikail) but try Avast and have it run a boot-time scan. You will be asked if you want to run a scan on boot when you install it. Be sure to update it before you run it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sure a lot of stuff going on in there.... :tazz:

You have a slew of DCom errors, let's disable the service and see if that helps the problem.

Click Start, then Run, type dcomcnfg, and click "Ok". In the left pane, expand (click +) "Component Services" and then click on the "Computers" folder. In the right pane, right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties".

In the My Computer Properties window, click on the "Default Properties" tab. Clear the "Enable Distributed COM on this computer" check-box and click "Apply" and then "Ok". Close the Component Services window.

You also have some network sharing problems. let's see if we need to change a setting here.

Open "Control Panel" and double-click on "Network Connections". Right click on the connection you use and choose "Properties". Under the "Advanced" tab, clear the check-box next to "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection", and click "Ok".

Now reboot and see if the hangs have been eliminated.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 12 March 2006 - 09:00 PM.

Advertisements

JoNNiE - D

JoNNiE - D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
....*

Edited by JoNNiE - D, 13 March 2006 - 05:35 PM.

JoNNiE - D

JoNNiE - D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Sure a lot of stuff going on in there.... :tazz:

You have a slew of DCom errors, let's disable the service and see if that helps the problem.

wannabe1

Good Evening Wannabe1!,

Sorry for not writin back sooner was in college all day and have just got around to usin your instructions now! Yes the Distubuted Com was already Enabled, The network share was not but i did enable it and good news is i can now connect to a friends wireless network down the block that i couldnt connect to before! So cheers for that because for a long time It was not sendin out a network address but now it is! Bad news is i still have this Blue Error shut down!! GRrrr Whats next?

Cheers
JoNNiE D

Edited by JoNNiE - D, 13 March 2006 - 05:34 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

Clear the "Enable Distributed COM on this computer" check-box and click "Apply" and then "Ok"

. We want to DISABLE the DCom service...I think that's what's hanging your machine.

wannabe1

JoNNiE - D

JoNNiE - D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

. We want to DISABLE the DCom service...I think that's what's hanging your machine.

wannabe1

Good Evening Wannabe1,

Today i Disabled the Dcom Service, But still made no difference i keep gettin shut down. I Decided to update my windows, I installed KB8iE 93803 and since ive installed this instead of gettin a blue screen shut down the system just restarts?? Should i reinstall this file and carry on as i was?

Im pretty sure you can set your windows to Automatically reboot if it crashes?

Whats next??

Cheers JoNNiE D

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, you can...and please do. Then when you get the BSOD, jot down all the error information and post it here for me.

Open Control Panel and double click System. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the Startup and Recovery section, click the "Settings" button. In the System Failure section, uncheck the box next to "Atomatically Restart", click "Ok"...then "Apply" and "Ok".

Reboot.