Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE6 behaving badly, will not load pages, use logons

• Please log in to reply

Middie042

Middie042

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
I have posted HJT in Malware for review, but I am pretty sure no virus/malware etc. McAfee is installed, have performed AdAware, Spybot, Panda scans as well so I am posting here for ie solutions.

Background. Dell shipped new 4700 with homeXP, but Pro was ordered. User called Dell, they shipped XPPRO upgrade, that user installed the upgrade, but I was not involved. This was October 2005. I am now being asked to help with IE problems. I have networked this machine successfully several months ago, and it has network access. I was not made aware since then of this problem until two days ago, but I am told it has been a problem since day 1.

The issue is how IE is not working. For example, the MSN.COM home page is white, but will not change to classic blue. It inderlines, but remains white. Other site pages do not display properly, login boxes are not present, or appear truncated, colors/frames not correct. They will display at other computer in same location, using same router/cable access. I tried to logon to pcpitstop, it will not accept my login and password-it doenst deny or 404, it just flashes the same page back up to login. Also for GTG site and others.

Performed to date: Verified McAfee was working, av and firewall. No apparent issues to me, but I am not 'fan' or usual user of this product.
Verified all Windows updates and patches. SP2. Did manage to download on 3/9 couple of the latest patches, but no glaring gap in updates.
Uninstalled and got latest JAVA from SUN for XP. Installed fine. Set Internet security to default. Tried disabling McAfee for short time to see if it was blocking success. No better.

Got ADAWARE and SpyBot to run, found no problems. Deleted all temps, cookies, etc. Performed sfc /scannow, no success. Perfomed install of ie.inf using sp2 XP Pro disk. No success. Perfomed inplace reinstall of WINDOWS Xp using the Pro Upgrade disk. NO success.

Debating to boot into the XP Pro Upgrade disk for recovery console. Then got an idea.

There was one account on this with administrative acct priv, (other than guest). Had been one other user account but it had been removed so as to allow boot into this one remaining account. I added another user account with comp admin priv. and logged into it. It setup the classic XP account, blue sky green hills desktop. I opened IE, went to MSN.COM, and behold it opened CLASSIC BLUE!. Thought I was getting somewhere. Went to another page of prior issue, it opened PROPERLY. And another. Not trying any logins, just viewing the pages. SO far. so good.

Went to PCPitstop. It will not let me log in, ala original issue. Just appears to refresh the page. NO error or deny script. Wont go past that. Tried logging into GTG from home page tries to do same. If I attempt to post, I get the 'you must login page', and it will log me in from there. BUt I don't stay logged in if I close page or use back arrow (?), seems intermittent on this.

So thought I had browser issue fixed, but not really. No post back yet from 3/9 Malware request for someone to view that HJT log, but I am continuing to scan, and work the machine. It seems to be an IE file corruption issue, but what to do to fix it? HelP?? :tazz: :) :)

Edited by Middie042, 15 March 2006 - 08:26 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello middie042 and welcome to geekstogo,
once someone has reviewed your log and given you the go ahead please post back in this forum. Only then can we tell that it isn't malware related.
Thanx
James

Middie042

Middie042

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
Okay, Coacheswife6 is of the expert opinion that this is not malware related. What do we want to work on for this? I did remove completely McAfee Privacy Guard, hoping that was a cause. It was not. Latest HJT log, as of 9:00p is posted here: http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=101504

M

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hey i want you to try deleating all you temperairy internet files and cookies. See if this solves the problem, if you need assistance on how to do this please post back.
thanx
James

Middie042

Middie042

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
Thanks James, but that was done, first middle and lastly. Is always my first step in browser trouble shooting. I will perform it from Internet Properties, Delete cookies, delete files and include off line content where applicable. I also will go into explorer and clean files from the local files of each user. I use atri's cleaner, have used cclearner and cleanup. Also a batch file from Fred Langa.

Note of interest. Upon my last repair install, I downloaded and installed the 39 files/updates successfully. IE will work now under the user I added, but the primary user still does not perform per the original issue. Don't we have some IE MVP's out there we could get their 2 cents worth? :tazz:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
this is very odd.....i will do a serach and see if some thing will come up....
James

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
how many fire walls do you have running?
James

Middie042

Middie042

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
Just one, McAfee. Yet it permits one user, the newest and not the first. Did not pass either until the repair, then only the last user added. One linksys router, no zonealarm in it. other 'puter works fine. It will browse, just not well. Does not display the msn.com site except in simple white but will not permit change to classic blue. chops up frames on other sites, overlaying test, does not display login boxes, etc. :tazz:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
i'm just as :tazz: as you. i'll continue to look around but i can't seem to find anyting.
sry
James

Middie042

Middie042

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
Thank you. Believe me I have check MSsupport, Google, and most anything related. That is why I was/am/continue to hope ( chocolate ) ( chocolate ) some great expert will see this and post suggestions...... chocolate ..... I don't know what MS MVP's we have for IE, but this has to be a known issue. What other forums do you participate in?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:tazz: trying to get metallica here or something? Leaving a trail of chocolate seems to be the best way to get experts! I got a stash hidden for when my time comes......
James

Edited by james_8970, 16 March 2006 - 09:45 PM.

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
kat may comming running in, who knows? :tazz:

Edited by Mile Runner, 16 March 2006 - 10:41 PM.

Middie042

Middie042

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
:tazz: :) :) chocolate

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Do you have another browser installed besides IE?

Oh. And as far as I know we have two IE MVP's here: Flrman1 and TonyKlein :tazz:

Regards,

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:tazz: :) :) :)