Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Suspended Installation

• Please log in to reply

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
1. I have an external Maxtor 300 Gig HDD that I am using with my desktop. No problem.
2. I realized that I had been using it without installing the drivers. So I took out the CD and installed the drivers. The installation went to completion. I went into a normal reboot. No problem.
3. When I went into the normal reboot I did not remove the CD from the drive.
4. When the system came backup I saw the Windows Installer screen “Preparing to Install”. It did not go into install mode where I could exit out of the install in a normal fashion.
5. I had to physically power down and then do a Cold Start.
6. When the device manager is accessed for the Maxtor HDD the displays show the correct driver and say the device is working normally.
7. The desktop is working normally and I have full control of it.
8. My Question:
9. Is there a way to detect if there is a suspended installation in the system without doing an uninstall?
10. Len Trimlett

Advertisements

topwater

topwater

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am using A maxtor 200 hdd with xp I did not install the drivers. If you are simply using it for storage. You shoud be able to just connect it windows will recognise it as a usb mass storage device.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you shouldn't need the dirvers at all...but if there's a "suspended install" going on you'd either see reference to it in the processes tab of task manager...OR the next time you try to install something..it will tell you that there is a pending install and not let you install whatever you're trying to install